Is it possible to use custom geometry decals?

Hi guys,

Is it possible at all to replicate something like this in Unreal 4?

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC3/Using+Decals+for+Destroyed+Structures

This is incredibly useful for breaking the repetitions on the big structures as well as creating cleaner transitions in difficult areas (e.g. corners).

Thanks in advance!

Currently this is not possible in UE4.

Thanks for your answer, . Just one more small question here - as I understand, there’s absolutely no way to make translucent material cast/accept shadows?

There is. You need to enable Cast Volumetric Translucent Shadow in the mesh’s Lighting settings.

Well, after some time I think I managed to almost replicate the effect in UE4. There are geometry pieces on the corners with translucent material applied (not decal). One issue that still persists is some kind of a light leak in shadows. Looks like that material does not fully accept shadows and still gets some highlights (roughness is 1, spec is 0, so it’s not specular highlights). Any idea on how to fix this?

Btw, I tried your solution enabling Cast Volumetric Translucent Shadow but then those pieces seem to only cast shadow, not accept one.

They do receive shadows actually, even though not as precise as an opaque material would i guess. Your mesh is in full shadow in the screenshot so it shouldnt be the problem, to me it looks like the normals of the decal mesh are different that the column’s so there is that slight difference between the two, i’m not sure though.