I'd like to manage levels via ID not Name, can this be done?

Hi all,

I’m hoping there’s a straight forward approach to this, but I’ve yet to find one.

At the moment my “Play” button is wired up to the name of the first level I want to load, this is a string reference and something I would like to avoid. The only way I can do that is if I can obtain either the ID of the level from perhaps a series of levels that may be played in my game (Unity does this quite nicely), or, if I could perhaps select the level from a drop down menu, as you do with the classes when adding UI widgets.

I don’t doubt for a moment that in the background everything is being handled by references/ids, so I don’t quite get why “LoadLevelInstance” only has a by name, not by an ID option.

Am I missing something?

Is there a nice/clean/simple/easy way to approach this?

I was hoping that I could have perhaps exposed a variable of [insert type here] and then drag the first level from the Content folder into that variable to hook it up - no such luck. It would seem the underlying type is abstract, as I cannot create a variable of LevelInstanceActor type.

Any help with this would be really appreciated, its got to a point where it seems so complicated it doesn’t feel like its worth the effort, and I hate having that feeling, especially when it feels like its something that should just be “easy”.

Most likely my noobie-newness is to blame and I’m missing something :slight_smile:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?