I don't know what this build error means

Building UE4Editor… Using clang version ‘3.5.2’ (string), 3 (major), 5 (minor), 2 (patch) Creating makefile for UE4Editor (no existing makefile) Performing full C++ include scan (no include cache file) Building UnrealHeaderTool… Using clang version ‘3.5.2’ (string), 3 (major), 5 (minor), 2 (patch) Target is up to date. Parsing headers for UE4Editor Running UnrealHeaderTool UE4Editor “/home/chase/UnrealEngine/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Linux/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/UE4Editor/Development/UnrealHeaderTool.manifest” -LogCmds=“loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error” Refusing to run with the root privileges. Error: Failed to generate code for UE4Editor - error code: CrashOrAssert (3) UnrealHeaderTool failed for target ‘UE4Editor’ (platform: Linux, module info: /home/chase/UnrealEngine/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Linux/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/UE4Editor/Development/UnrealHeaderTool.manifest). Makefile:188: recipe for target ‘UE4Editor’ failed make: *** [UE4Editor] Error 3.

Getting the same exact error after running make file for SlateViewer.

So I solved it. I had been using sudo on everything. Don’t sudo git or just download the zip and then follow the tutorial. Since I was using super user for everything it jacked up UE4’s permissions. They say not to build using root but I didn’t pay enough attention. Though using sudo for installing dependencies is okay and required.

That error means that UHT (one of our tools run during the build process to generate headers) is failing for some reason; it can happen if you run it as root (it will refuse to run).