How to provide download updates for a packaged project

I don’t know if this is to off subject from Unreal but I had question on providing updates to a player without the need to re-download the entire packaged game. I would like to know what software is needed to do something like this, just to get me started so I know what to research. I’m new to github and I don’t know if this can be done within github alone or do I need additional software.

Thanks

Hi Isaac,

Usually, this is done by means of a third party launcher - as far as I know, Epic doesn’t provide any tools for it. I’m writing one for my game right now - I’ll share the source code if you want it.

If you want to make your own, I suggest reading up on file checksums (MD5 or SHA-256 does the trick) and downloading files from an FTP server.

Thanks Jargon I will take a look at the source code, I am trying to learn how this works.

I’ll send you a GitHub link as soon as it’s working properly.

Great! Thanks Jargon.

I got a touch carried away. [FREE] Launchpad - A free, open-source UE4-compatible game launcher - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

Sorry I can’t up vote you anymore unless you respond to this message :smiley:

This is super awesome.

Hey Jargon, i got a question on that.
If i change something in my game and package it again, how can i see what files changed? Or do i need to upload the whole game everytime i change something? Because my inet is rather slow and i don’t want to upload the whole game each time i fix small bugs.

If you use FileZilla, it’ll allow you to specify whether or not you want it to only transfer files that have a differing size or creation date.

Also, I think it’s best to post questions like this on the forums, so we don’t reopen this question all the time :stuck_out_tongue: