A few days ago I published this article(click) summing up how we kept performance in check during the development of our mobile vr game Coaster Combat.
I realised I hadn’t published it on a UE4 website yet so here you go.
I hope it can help some of you with your projects.
My job on this project was to keep it performing, spot potential optimisations and optimise. Sometimes this meant removing vertices from models, making uv texture atlasses and other times taking cpu profiles and memory stats to figure out where our resources are going.
This project was the first on which I was the main responsible person for performance. I learned a lot from my Colleague Daan Niphuis who explained about how the hardware bottlenecks the performance.