Download

How to have bones follow and loop around a spline?

So I have this game project that I’m working on with an ATV and I’m trying to figure out how to rig the treads so I can have them move and react the way they would in real life in UE4 and have it be dynamic through the bones. (Video link below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmdHxqA9B6Q&index=10&t=128s

I have the treads rigged, but I’m not too sure how to implement something like this into UE. Would it be possible to have the bones follow a curve to have the tread spin around it?

Maybe with an animation blueprint or something like that?

I’ve also tried to make a spline for it with one piece of the tread and make the tread that way, but I wasn’t sure how to get them to spin around the spline. But with that method, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get the tread to bounce. But the most important thing is to get them to move.

The main reason is that the process of getting the joints to follow a curve in the same shape as the tread isn’t the simplest thing to do. It tends to break pretty badly. There was one time I got close, but I wasn’t able to get it smooth. I set up blendshapes and had it animated that way, but it’s not natural and I wouldn’t be able to add physics at any point in the way that I want.