How to get started in game art?

Hey everyone. I’ve been learning alot of coding recently for this engine, and am starting to get a grasp (albeit small). However, there’s one major thing that I just don’t understand at all about UE4, and by extension game development in general and that’s art. I recently obtained a student version of Maya for learning purposes.

Do you guys have any recommendations for learning how to make character models, animations, and materials (I know it’s a bit wishful, but I’d love to be able to eventually make a game as gorgeous as Epic’s recent Paragon)?

Thanks in advance!

Tutorials, Lots and Lots of Tutorials… And a Ton of Practice, maybe a year’s practice, it really depends how much time you’re able to devote to this. I highly endorse Forums like Polycount I’ve been studying/doing/making Game Art for, ****, it’s been 10 years since I started school, I don’t don’t if school is necessarily the best idea. My personal experience is that the most valuable thing I got out of school was, knowledge of Polycount’s existence and a bunch of good friends with similar career interests.

Thank you for all the links! Polycount, the Draw a Box site and the FZDSchool seem really neat. I’ll definitely be checking them out.