How to comply with 4 sec. initial load rule ?

Currently I use streaming levels. I have a small black room that loads first and then I have main level with all the assets and stuff that loads afterward (streaming in the background I assume).

The setup is simple - I have 1 persistent level and inside I have black room that load on start and main level that loads/stream from Blueprint. Black room level has black room (floor, ceiling, 4 walls) and player character. Everything else is in the main level.

When I didn’t have whole a lot of assets on the main level, UE4 app was loading in about 4 seconds. However, as I began adding more assets to my main level, loading times increased beyond 4 sec. It seems that UE4 is trying to load all the assets before loading my small black room.

What do I need to do in order to comply with 4 sec. initial loading rule ?

Thanks

Maybe [MENTION=11153]Chris Babcock[/MENTION] or [MENTION=4894]Tim Hobson[/MENTION] have some ideas ? :o

I wonder if there is a way to have 2 persistent levels - one with just one black room, and another one with transition room sublevel and main area sublevel. This way maybe persistent level with black room would load under 4 sec and then second persistent level would load afterward in the background ?

Or is there can be only one persistent level containing multitude of sublevels ?

I had the same issue with a very basic level…it wasn’t 4 seconds, but the scene froze for about 2 seconds, but I was unloading the lower level and loading the upper level at the same time ( transition done using an elevator).

I wonder if its possible to “mask” that loading time by playing a cutscene, since 99% of the games use this technique ( see Mass Effect ), without having the freezing of the screen?

I don’t know if this is exactly what you’re looking for but have you checked out the Splash Screen stuff for the Oculus SDK, (like the AddLoadingSplashScreen and ShowLoadingSplashScreen functions) they work surprisingly well in the rift and because of their async timewarp it might be able to help. Haven’t had a chance to see if it works on the Gear so judging by the rest of the engine you probably have a 50% chance of it working :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you please outline how to work with splash screen in BP ? (show it immediately, then remove it so many seconds later to show loaded level)