Download

How should I approach creating a world?

I’m still in the planning stages, but since I’ve thought of including a type of transportation method I figured maybe I can just design roads or paths that lead to the next parts of the level instead of going to a loading screen. On that note, I looked up Level Streaming and World Composition but a few questions I had weren’t being answered while I was reading through their documentation so I’ll list those here to hopefully get an answer.

1. For starters, what is “Persistent Level”? I couldn’t find anyone that asked this question and I may have an idea, but I still don’t know what exactly it is or what’s gained by making a level into a persistent one. The search usually leads me to Level Streaming and World Composition but never tells me what Persistent actually is.

2. Where do I start when wanting to design a small-scale open world? I want start conceptualizing how I want my world to be, by most likely dropping big BSP blocks around representing buildings/etc and getting an overall feel for how I want my levels to be set up.

3. To clarify and add an additional question to “2),” should I make one large terrain landscape representing my entire world and save it as one level and place the BSPs to come up with the final positioning of everything, then start making individual levels based on those concepts and then turn on “Enable World Composition” to place them in the desired spots? Also, is “Persistent” level a level that is always loaded – forever – and can be seen from any sub level? Would that mean if I did design one large landscape, that I should turn it into a persistent level so it can be seen from all of the smaller levels as?

4. This is a random question that’s still related to world design, but there will be roads within the game, and I’ve already been looking at: Using Splines & Spline Components | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube and while I haven’t studied it thoroughly to actually to start making my own roads, the question I had was how should the placement of sidewalks and the actual road be handled?

As an example in the picture below, the “concrete” in this case would be the sidewalk and the building is sitting on top of the concrete( and no the landscape). The opening in the center of the concrete, let’s imagine that it’s a parking lot. I’m not able to create a mesh with a proper texture to act as a parking lot because it would be z-fighting with the landscape, unless I make a plane and slightly raise it above the landscape. My other option is to lower the landscape and place a parking lot mesh on top of it, and under the sidewalk.

In other words, how am I supposed to layer in this type of situation? Should I have a road mesh that sits on top of the landscape, and then a sidewalk mesh that sits on top of the road? If I went that path, wouldn’t I have to place block meshes under all of the buildings to keep the height straight across the board?

Anyways, if anyone is able to answer any of these questions, I’d appreciation, thanks.

*5) I forgot to ask, what is “World Origin Shifting” in World settings? I read it couldn’t be enabled in multiplayer games and the one I was working on is to be a co-op, so just wondered if it was something important or worth taking note of.

I would suggest learning World Machine and go from there and find some YouTube tuts. Even Epic has used World Machine to make some of there worlds in the past. Good Luck friend! :slight_smile:

Maybe I’ll start looking at that. Are there any videos you’d recommend in particular on World Machine?

Here are some good ones:Tutorial #1 : An :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’ll check them out.