How easy is it to delete unused content before packaging?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I’m working on a project, and I’d like to just add a whole bunch of assets from the marketplace and elsewhere, and then sort through what’s useful to me and what isn’t. But is there an easy way to get rid of all the stuff I choose not to use? Or would I be better off taking the slightly slower and more fiddly route and just migrating content I specifically want?

Cheers, any advice much appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure if you don’t actually use an asset, it won’t get packaged unless you specifically tell it to package using the asset manager

Hi,
My approach has been,
clone the project and then delete everything inside the content folder ( on the clone).
I then go back to my “editor copy” and migrate just the levels necessary for the project to my “package copy”
I have all levels in a single folder so I only have to right click and migrate the folder.
UE4 collects all req assets etc and places only them in your package copy.

I don’t know if this approach is recomended or not but it helps me keep a clean project for packaging.
Cheers
Paul _G

PS I name my projects XXXX_dirty and XXXX_clean

I tried that, and it kind of worked, the end product seemed smaller than it would have been if all unused assets were packaged, but larger than if no unused assets were packaged. But honestly, I know very little about the technicalities of packaging, I may be misinterpreting something.

Hmm, okay, that seems like a pretty good idea, can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Cheers!

I believe you just need to do a project migration. It should as I recall make a duplicate bringing only the assets in use. Then just use the full project as a testing area for new assets bringing over to the streamlined version what you need.