How do I know if 1 texture tile on my static mesh is covering 1m in the game world? (Its a marketplace requirement)

Hi guys, I was looking in the marketplace submission guidelines and under Meshes, number 4 says - Assets must be UV mapped so that 1 texture tile must cover 1m in the game world.

I’m not really sure what this rule is talking about, How do I know if 1 texture tile is covering 1m in the game world? In the images below I’ve got a door and the way I would uv it I don’t think 1 texture tile would cover 1m, and in fact in nearly all my work, my textures are not tiled at all.

Another thing that doesn’t really make much sense to me is that meshes are different sizes and texture different resolutions so wouldn’t texture tile sizes vary depending on what your creating? e.g how do I make a single texture tile on a high res teacup cover 1 meter?

Well I’m taking a total guess at this is so that a texture as part of a material would cover at least 1mX1m of a much larger surface area with out repeating in a noticeable manner.

If the surface is 1mX1m then the material will work with out tiling. If the obj is 2mX2m then the material only needs to be tiled twice making repeats less noticeable.

The door does not need to follow the rule as it’s mapped as an object and a UV map is not resolution based as to the need to tile it.

As an example lets say your making a picket fence using a mask so that it can be tiled across a planer surface but only use one picket. If applied across a 1mX surface you might have to tile it 10 times to fit the surface. This will cause the material to repeat and stand out that it was tiled.

On the other hand if you make the pickets span across a 1mX surface then the number of tiles required is decreased by a factor of 10 and the repeats become less noticeable or easier to hide.

How you would tile the texture depends on what it is that is being tiled. A brick wall for example you could map the texture to a 1mX1m surface and paint in the bricks so that they look true to real world scale before tiling where on the other hand you only add a few bricks and have to tile it up to fit the same 1mX1m surface it would be impossible to hide the repeats.

I’m not sure what they would mean unless they’re directly referring to things like ground textures. Their quality control isn’t that good so I wouldn’t worry about it.

I think this is the only reason that makes sense, just to make sure [USER=“14973”]Chance Ivey[/USER] could you kindly confirm for us :slight_smile:

Alright thanks, after seeing that I think measuring is not an issue anymore.

But I am still a little concerned about meshes like the door in the original post, it would be a problem if it did in fact have to abide by the 1m rule.

the cube static mesh from UEd basic shapes has exactly 1m x 1m x 1m, so if you apply youre general texture there, the tiling should be exactly once on all its surfaces.
regarding youre unique door-skin: you should not paint the shadows in the texture, as this will collide with the engines lightning and shadowing: you can see it on youre screenshot: the light comes from top right, so the left side of the inlay in the door should be lit, whereas the right side and top should cause shadows (like the doorhandle does). also this simple inlet should be done in geometry, as its just blocky thing requiring not much polys. also I am not sure what material the door should be made of…is it supposed to be bare wood (then i miss the wood-lines), or painted (then i miss the paint/peeling/wood differences.)? Also if there is moss on the walls, then it should also be on the door, otherwise the door seems pretty out of place in context.

Thanks for the helpful info, the door is a WIP I never finished, it doesn’t actually shadows, I was just experimenting with some dirt masks and they came out really dark so they look ended up looking like shadows. Other than that I’ll put more thought into the material as you’ve suggested.