Download

How can you add a point light to character live preview and hide it from everyone?

Hi,
I have a character live preview working in my inventory menu widget and so far it looks great but it needs a point light. When I made my character preview I didn’t spawn a render character outside the sky sphere like most others do. I just capture the SceneCaptureComponent2D right from my actual character, works slick but this lighting issue. If it’s dark in my game the character can’t be seen very easily. I added a point light and it fixed that but now everyone can see the point light haha, is there a way to hide a point light from certain actors? or display just for certain actors? I would like to hide the light from everyone but still have it shine for my characters live preview. Does anyone have any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks

Hi @Cipher5
Well if you are making a multiplayer with client and host, i think you can use the node “Has authority” to know if the action is working on the server or on the client.

Basically you want to activate the light and the inventory only on 1 client, so the action should not be replicated on all client or server.
And you can uuse the Has authority define this.

I have done this, no one else can see the light but the local player, I need a way to hide the light from the local player now. I was playing around with light channels a little bit, no luck yet. I will keep trying stuff out. Thanks

Hi,
try this
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/532573/hide-an-object-for-only-the-player.html

Thank you, that looks like what I need, when I get some time soon I will give it a shot