How can I change default location of \Unreal Projects?

Frip, now my SSD is completely full. A fix for this would be nice

hmmm…well I started a repair with prev c: drive folder (C:\Users\xxx.…) empty (symlinked to new drive/folder) and (C:\Users\xxx.…) started populating with files. I would have thought that download would have gone to new drive folder?

Have a look inside your Documents folder and see if Unreal Projects looks different than regular folders. After a proper link, yours should have a grey link on lower left corner. If it does, it’s linked to a destination folder. Note that even in Windows Explorer title bar it will still say C:\Users\Elyptic\Documents\Unreal Projects even though it’s actually a link.

You can right click and check its properties; there should be a Link Properties tab with “Type of Link: Junction” and “Target: M:\Unreal Projects” shown.

Just watch free space on C:, it’s only way I found out it was working properly first time :slight_smile:

Fix pls, omg my SSD needs mercy.

So is there any update on when a true fix will be available? This is a very necessary fix as my projects grow in size.

Updating this post since it got a bump.

Launcher now lets you select where you would like to download Marketplace Sample content to. Beneath download button, you will see a filepath. Clicking filepath will let you choose an alternate destination.

Cheers!

@markdj,

This issue has been fixed for past few Launcher versions. Please see new Answer I have posted here.

Cheers!

Recent updates to UE4 launcher solve issue ~99%.

EASY FIX. Copy your project. so content of game you are working on. after launch fontend and select your project and delete. NEXT browse to project location and open it and you will see a launcher. click it :slight_smile:

I can’t find it. There is only a download button and option to choose engine version.

A recent update to Launcher has changed this, and once again automatically stores downloaded content in UnrealEngine/Launcher/VaultCache folder. My apologies for confusion with changes. When you make new projects from downloaded content, you then have option to choose its location.

Great . It is exactly what I am trying to do. Thanks a lot for right, clear and short help man. Symbolic link for “VideoCaptures” from C: to F: perfectly work on UE 4.8.1

This is just LAZY and nothing else, its making me really really annoyed, why can’t such a simple problem be solved? An engine for developers and you cant even choose where to install it?? still in 2016 this isnt fixed, cant you see that there are thousands of people having problems with this? Makes me just want to throw UE4 out and use Unity, as simple as it is you can actually choose where to install.

So true. This is beyond ridiculous.

My SSD was purchased with sole intent to be used only for my OS and programs that think they can just dump files onto it whenever they want are cancer. Programs should always notify user before dumping massive amounts of files somewhere. This is an unspoken etiquette of software that I would hope Epic Games would realize. Forcing us to ‘change location of our My Documents folder’ is such a pathetically hacky solution to a problem that shouldn’t even exist.

5 Likes

this was working before,my projects folder was even on a different drive
why did you change this ?

I think it’s since everyone at Epic is always busy crunching usability features get overlooked. It’s a problem with their corporate culture.