How can I change the default location of \Unreal Projects?

I installed UnrealEngine to my big secondary drive (“N:\UnrealEngine”), but when Launching the sample file, it filled my boot/system drive with temp files and now I have zero space on C:\ The compile didn’t launch because it ran out of room to finish, and now I can’t launch anything because my C drive is filled with its junk. I can’t even start a Blank project because the editor claims “Failed to copy N:/UnrealEngine/4.0/samples/StarterContent/Content/Materials/(etc)” to C:\Users\xxx\Unreal Projects\

How can I set the editor to compile everything to the N drive, and stop filling C? I’d like to move the entire C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Unreal Projects onto the N drive but don’t want to lose all the examples I’ve already downloaded.

Using: Windows 7 x64

Hey Elyptic,

You can choose a location for a new project at creation by clicking the Down Arrow button on the right side of the Project Browser. It’s right above the Create Project button. That will let you create a new project on your secondary drive.

The Launcher automatically downloads example projects to the C: drive. It’s a known issue and we are working to fix it. In the meantime, you should be able to move those files from your C: drive to a secondary drive without any problems. If they were not fully downloaded because your C: drive was full, there may be problems with the files, unfortunately, and you might need to make some room on your C: and try downloading them again.

Hope that helps!

Ben Halliday

Hi Elyptic

We currently don’t allow you to change where the Unreal Project’s directory is located. But a trick I use at home is to move the location of the “My Documents” folder and Windows will automatically move everything.

I did some quick googling and got a good set of instructions. It’s pretty easy. But I don’t want to be responsible for any data loss so, back things up before moving it :slight_smile:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm

Your already downloaded content should load correctly from the new location.

Thanks for helping find the arrow, though without changing the download location it’s not going to help much. At least I can move the existing projects there, but any large downloadable projects are going to fail I suppose.

Thanks Nick, as mentioned above this is a hack fix in the meantime, and it should get things working, but I don’t think I’ll want to stick with it in the long run. Plus my other programs will probably start rioting as this location hasn’t changed in four years. Hopefully an editable project location is in the future for this.

I have had success with UE3, using a Junction Point to relocate data that the engine is looking for to another location. Basically, install this

Link Shell Extension

and then move your Unreal Project directory wherever you want it to go, then as it says on the page for that utility you can set the new location as the target, and drop a Junction Point back into your original location. As far as the engine is concerned the files are still where it wants them, but they’re actually being stored elsewhere.
Its still a dirty hack, but it doesn’t affect other aspects of your environment.

Our apologies. We know a non trivial number of users will want to customize the install location for samples and other downloads. It’s on the list of things to fix soon. Though I don’t have an ETA.

This isn’t really a workable solution for me. My ‘Documents’ folder is already set up so that it’s located in my Dropbox, but I don’t want my Unreal projects to end up in my dropbox folder (particularly multi-gigabyte example projects that aren’t really ‘my documents’)

Use Dropbox’s selective sync option to ignore the Unreal Projects folder so that it won’t be uploaded or counted in your Dropbox account.

After moving my Documents folder via the windows method above, I thought it had worked. Today I still see my C drive filling up after the launcher ‘repair’ just downloads things back into C\Users\xxx\Unreal Projects anyways, regardless of my new setting and location for My Documents. The Launcher has no options, it continues to download marketplace items etc into the same original location, so now I have duplicates of everything I downloaded yesterday. I think I’ll just move my documents back to the initial location, remove the samples, and wait for a real fix.

Have a look at the solution I proposed below - it’s worked without issues for a number of other users in other threads.

I managed to get it working without any issuea

Perfect. Thank you twiddle, a very handy tool. Too many applications want to be on my C drive, when there is tons of space elsewhere.

This is going to be my next option. I’ve reverted my documents to its original location and will try this shell extension tomorrow.

OK it worked somewhat, in that I can download new content and it ends up in my secondary location. The problem is it still wants to ‘repair’ the existing items, which means re-downloading all of the content again. Repair doesn’t really repair anything (i.e. re-linking / updating references), should be labeled ‘Re-download’.

Hi Elyptic

Another alternative option for you, it is the same option I used to navigate itunes backup files elsewhere.

First, cut your unreal project file from default location in C: to your designated location.

Second, use windows cmd.exe command as administrator and type below command line.

mklink /d “c:\users\YOURNAME\documents\unreal projects” “z:\XXX\unreal projects”

2726-捕获.jpg

The only issue with this is it creates a symbolic link rather than a junction or hardlink. UE3 had issues with this - when you were browsing for files or folders to save assets etc, it would actually traverse the link and tell you the destination folder rather than keeping the file path relative to the link itself.
You can use /j to create a junction rather than a symlink which seems to avoid this issue; the shell extension I linked in my answer makes it easy to do that without the command line.

I have the exact same problem. Small SSD for windows and every **** programs insists on filling it with ****! Please fix this. This is a show stopper for me.

I’ve tried creating a junction using the link shell extension and project downloads are seen fine on the second drive but the ContentExamples are flagged as ‘repair’ and still download to the C drive … I don’t understand why o.O
Not sure if twiddle can shed any light on this for me? Or anyone at all really :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it only works for items downloaded from the Marketplace after creating the junction, in order to keep the projects working from the Launcher. Once you re-download them (with ‘repair’), they will be saved/overwritten to the new location and available properly in the Launcher. So yeah, re-download the ~10 gigs.