Hot-reload doesn't work if the project uses any plugins?

After adding a plugin to our project, hot-reload no longer works. Every time I compile game code in VS while the editor is open, the code compiles successfully, but then in the editor output log I get this:

LogHotReload: New module detected: UE4Editor-ProjectName-2985-Win64-DebugGame.dll
LogHotReload: Starting Hot-Reload from IDE
LogModuleManager:Warning: ModuleManager: Unable to load module 'C:/Projects/ProjectName/Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-ProjectName-2985-Win64-DebugGame.dll' because the file couldn't be loaded by the OS.
Warning: HotReload failed, reload failed /Script/ProjectName.

I found this AnswerHub thread which seems relevant, but the resolution is pretty much “yup, that is a thing that happens”. There is also a worrisome comment there about this not being considered a bug…?

I had finally achieved a pretty smooth workflow with quick iteration times on game code, until I added a plugin and then this started happening. Now I have to restart the editor and reload the project for every game code change, which slows things down dramatically. It’s… not great. :expressionless:

Does anybody know what the actual underlying problem is here?

Hotreload, from my pov, is very barebones and there’s many situations where it doesn’t work unless you’re working on very simple game.
Is just better to implement experimental gameplay with Blueprints then after the functionality is solid move it over to the C++ code instead of iterating gameplay with C++…