Herp a derp

Hiya!

First off I’m really new to UE4, I’ve got some programming background and as far as game engines work have previously worked with Unity and Godot, but now the group I’m working with want to use UE4 so here I am. ^^

We’re in the very early stages of a project, basically thinking of what we want to do and how to make it work. Right now we’re going to have simple graphics in an underground 2D-world, and I’ve been thinking about how difficult it would be to implement water with simple physics (think Terraria or similar).

Best guide for the water aspect I’ve found so far would be this Simple Fluid Simulation With Cellular Automata | W-Shadow.com fluid sim, written in Processing. I’m not sure though how to get something like that to work in UE4, visually I mean. I’ve done my fair share of C++ (it looks like we’ll go with a blueprint approach to try to make it easier for the non-programmers in the group though) and processing is based on Java so I don’t think that part will be that much different from other times I’ve had to translate an existing solution to another language. Anyway, I’ve started off making tiles so I have a grid similar to what it looks like in the fluid sim, with 3 different tile types spawned randomly (This is later on going to be changed to spawning more cave-like structures, either with Cellular Automata or the Quadtree approach seen in the turn-based strategy example project and the video connected to that A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums).

I assume I’m just missing something basic, but is there an easy way of handling the colouring/changing of the tiles so there can be multiple levels of water for each tile? I’m not aiming for the smooth (height-wise at least) pixel-by-pixel result of the fluid sim, but I’m hoping to start off with “full tile” and “half full tile” depending on some cut-off value and in the end have maybe 4 different water levels per tile. Right now I’m thinking of having different sprites for the different levels, probably set up as a tile set. I haven’t been able to get that to work properly yet though, but I think I will have to implement the code for the fluid sim before I can really test how to visually represent the water, so I wanted to know if it sounds like I’m completely off the mark here or if it sounds reasonable to you more experienced people before I start converting the code.

Thanks for your time! =)

//Waya

May I ask why did you leave godot for ue4? Godot is a better choice for 2d games…