Here's an interesting one....best method?

Ok, I’m going to keep it short and simple but I thought I would ask as it’s a failry interesting one to see everyone’s response…

In the scenario of a monorail following a spline, what is the best method? Remember that a monorail bends (well, at least the rubber bellows between carraiges do) so would it be better to have seperate components such as train, bellows and carraiges (with a simple straigh skeleton in the centre of the bellow and then skinned to allow for bending) OR have the whole train as a single mesh and have a simple line skeleton run the entire lenth (with closer bones at the bellow parts and the entore mesh skinned to the skeleton)?

In theory, a single skinned mesh wouldn’t behave properly when it is set to follow a spline so surely the best way would be to have individual components so they can all be set to follow a spline and then just have the bellows inbetween with constraints and physics?

Honestly, my theory is there but I can’t seem to put anything to practice, I’m actually lost on this.

Ideas are welcome of course and much appreciated :slight_smile:

Easier to just make wagons independent and aligned to the spline they sit on.
every wagon uses the same BP.
a blueprint interface is used to call and set train speed so acceleration is the same across all wagons.
The train will be composed of several BPs you just place in the level and select a “locomotive” for.

Alternatively. use an “attached to” actor variable. And use it to place the wagon where you want it by using the drop selector within the level.

I’ll give that one a try. How would that incorp the flexible skeletal bellows beetween each car?

That could probably be the only part that is a skeletal mesh.
you lock the front bone to the front wagon, and run an IK chain in abp to modify it.
or you make a good phat asset and use it to simulate physics with it - this can be less stable.