Download

Help blending RootMotion dodge with PhysicsCapsule driven locomotion!

Hej! :slight_smile:

I’ve set up a character who can run around and jump using a regular input driven Capsule Physics to drive movement (CharacterMovement component).
For a dodge I’ve made an animation which moves the character (and the capsule of course…) using RootMotion.

It triggers and moves the character fine, but it doesn’t blend very nicely between the Physics and the RootMotion driven systems. Especially when blending out of the dodge (RootMotion driven) animation, it seems like the input driven Physics doesn’t start affecting the character’s movement until the RootMotion animation is entirely blended out. This makes it so that every time I exit the dodge animation my character loses all momentum before going into my default input driven locomotion, which isn’t exactly what I want when blending out of the dodge and giving directional input. So even though I’ve held Input Fwd and my Sprint button, the character has to accelerate from 0 speed.

I’m fairly new to Unreal so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. Any help is much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Attaching some info about my setup. I understand another way of setting up RootMotion animations is through AnimationMontages. Would that solve my problem?

Thanks,
Martin