Ground to Space in VR Project

Hello everyone,

I’m quite new to UE4 and am actually searching for key words/techniques/approach that would help me in my quest. Any idea is welcome, so thank you in advance for your precious help :slight_smile:

What I want to create is not really a game. The player will only be able to look around in VR and won’t be able to move.

The player starts on the ground (Earth) at a location that never changes between game sessions and then he begins to levitate (as if he would be in an elevator) to reach progresively his final destination : space (Until he reaches a distance where he could be able to see entirely Earth).

I know that I can’t create a 1:1 scaled Earth planet, so I’ll have to use some tricks to implement all this. I’ve already done a lot of researchs but with my current knowledge I don’t know what is the best solution to start with.

Do I have to create multiple levels and then switch between them as the user goes up in the sky ? Do I have to use Level of Details in a unique level (map) to change dynamically my map and skybox ?

Should I directly start on a huge mesh or use a basic landscape ?

I can provide more information if needed. Again I’m open to all ideas and any other information is also welcome (key words, tutorials, vids, etc).

Thank you in advance =)