Download

Generate project solution without Engine project

I want to know if there is a way to generate the game solution without the engine project, as it GREATLY improves Visual Assist and Resharper C++ performance when loading the solution.
If there’s not a way to do this, how can I make a feature request?

It’s already possible. All you need to do is generate WITHOUT the -Engine commandline argument. I believe this is enabled by default when you right-click on the uproject and generate from the context menu on Windows and also when refreshing from the editor menu (it would be great if there was a way to override/configure this somewhere though [feature request for that maybe unless that’s possible as well somewhere?]). For now you can do something like create your own GenerateGameProjectFiles.bat with something along the lines of: <Path/To/UE4/Root>/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=%1 -game
Where instead of %1 you can directly “hardcode” the path to the uproject file. Or leave it as it is which will allow you to provide the project file as an argument to the batchfile (i.e. you can then run it like this: GenerateGameProjectFiles.bat “<Path/To/.uproject>”) or simply drag and drop the .uproject file onto the batchfile and it should use that.

Read here for documentation about commandline arguments (and more) regarding project file generation: Automatic Project File Generation | Unreal Engine Documentation

That documentation is outdated. The engine project will be added to the solution no matter the parameters you set. Even your example creates the solution with the UE4 project in it.
This changed when Epic decided to ship rocket builds with source code.

The page is indeed for UE4.9 but I would have thought/hoped it would have been updated if that information was no longer accurate. Sorry to hear it is not working for you, it does work correctly in my UE4.9 test project.

After a brief look at the UE4.11 code of UnrealBuildTool it seems to be intended to work still (Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/System/ProjectFileGenerator.cs function ConfigureProjectFileGeneration line 759 the -Engine command line argument is processed). It only sets the variable bAlwaysIncludeEngineModules to true (which is otherwise only initialized to false). This variable is then later used to set IncludeEngineSource and IncludeEnginePrograms (at the end of ConfigureProjectFileGeneration) which in turn should eventually control whether the engine files are included or not (in function GenerateProjectFiles). If you feel like it, go ahead and debug UBT to see where it’s not working correctly :slight_smile:

I will see what I can do. In the meantime I’ll keep deleting the UE4 project from the solution manually.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it a lot. :smiley: