Download

[Feather Request] Stuff I miss from Unity

Hi, UE5 is making me very excited and I’m really looking to start a new project based on UE5.

I’m an old UE3 user and I’ve used Unity in the past.
Coming back to UE and I immediately feel that there some obvious stuff that I find very difficult to live without.
Yeah, I have to admit that I never thought that I would miss them until I used Unity so please don’t reject them until you give some considerations.

1. “Scene” View. Having a Scene view side-by-side with the Game view is immensely useful for debugging. It may hurt performance to update multiple views simultaneously. If that’s main reason against it, we can make it optional to update Scene View or not.

2. “Activate” toggle checkbox.

In UE, it is very difficult to temporarily disable some Actors for testing. I usually delete the Actors and then revert the delete but this is error-prone. I often make mistakes saving the scene without completely reverting or reverting halfway. It seems obvious why it’s very useful and it doesn’t seem all that difficult to support this feature.

3. “Mute Audio” from the Settings Menu. Sometimes, I want to work quietly not to bother others, but muting audio is hidden deep inside preference right now. There is “Realtime Audio” in the Settings Menu but it doesn’t have an effect from the Editor. Can we bring it out to a more convenient place?

4. “Package Manager” like import system. To import an Asset in UE, often I have to create a new project first and then copy. If there is a version mismatch, I have to create a compatible project, copy, and then delete it manually. This is really inconvenient and we should be able to import Assets directly from the Editor. If there is a version mismatch, display an additional Confirm Dialogbox if you really want to import. But please let us have an option to import or not. This will be useful right now especially because there is no Asset compatible with UE5 and it will be so until the next year.

That’s it and I don’t think they are engine-specific stuff but it can be useful to all editors.

Thank you very much for your support and hard work.

Cheers!

1 Like

What kind? Chicken? Goose? You’ll need to be more specific if you want a definitive answer.

2 Likes

1: you have the ability to create multiple viewports in UE, in UE5 theres a menu near the perspective tag, click on that and near the bottom you can see the layouts

2:you can hide actors without deleting them in the world outliner, alternatively you can toggle visible in the rendering tag

3: I dig this

4: I also like this. downloading content->create project with said content->merge to my project is a pain a lot of the times, and having a direct import would be fantastic.

For #4 you can tell the launcher where your projects are to have them show up, so for assets that are marked “Add to project” you can tick the box show all projects and add them to UE5 projects, for content marked “Create new project” you can navigate to your vault cache, find the content that’s there, copy the content folder of the stuff you want and merge it with your project. Thats all the launcher does.

@iLLo, I suppose you haven’t used Unity in a meaningful way. I was like you before I used it, so no worries.

1. I meant to say updating Scene View in real-time during “Play”. This way, I can monitor what’s going on in the scene without leaving the camera and it’s very very annoying.

2. Hiding Actors and Deactivating Actors are different. Hiding will just hide but it will interact with the rest of the scene. Again, I meant to say Deactivating as if it doesn’t exist in the scene.

Cheers!

1 Like

@ixicalibur, thanks for the tip. I appreciate it, however, I feels more like a hack than a tip though. ^^