Download

Error - Saving inherited character blueprint

I get an error when I save my blueprint character class which is inherited by the character c++ class I wrote. The same error appears when I save blueprints, my game mode, or umg widgets which for example cast to my character blueprint. Nothing that uses the character class can be saved.

cbb4c3fe6483e4e2bb5d826e285844a36ebf4853.jpeg

9ebcd011a76b6f53ab99e3c9443fd23c77d87429.jpeg

adf6632a2934130e0e182a8cef2e078e461e1b1f.png

It sounds like a folder permission issue with Windows. Make sure the folders you are trying to save to aren’t set to “Read Only” in Window’s Explorer.

If not, it could be a bad-reference to the C++ class. Did you perhaps move, rename, or something along those lines the C++ class?

I often have a similar error when compiling my C++ Code which is the base for a BlueprintClass (in my case UUserWidget). For me restarting the editor helps (And saving blueprint files before compiling c++ to not lose any progress because I might not be able to save afterwards).

This is due to the “Hot Reload” compiling. Changing Blueprint type code, or variables in C++ causes them to be renamed but not referenced (of some sort) from “VariableName” to “HOTRELOAD_VariableName” which causes referencing errors. A restart fixes those issues, but you can’t save those hot reload references. So it’s best to save, close out of the editor, then do all your C++ changes.

Also, sometimes in your blueprint, hitting File->Refresh All Nodes helps resolve and broken connections from compiling/hotreloading

I rebooted my machine after posting the issue here because rebuilding from source multiple times didn’t work. Rebooting solved it for whatever reason.