Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator

Great :smiley: Może jakaś zniżka dla biedakow cebulakow? :smiley:

Hello,

Do the roots follow the shape of the mesh underneath them in real time?

&d=1456069468

If yes, do they also follow the shape of the “landscape” as well?

Extremely good update

Thanks! <Polish ON> Postaram się zrobić jakąś zniżkę niedługo. Ta cena i tak jest już dość niska w porównaniu np. do jednego innego narzędzia w tej tematyce (2x droższe) które jest popularne… A mi samemu na cebulę nie starcza, więc jakoś muszę uzbierać :wink: </POLISH OFF>

They align to any surface they encounter, landscape, static meshes, etc… And even if the auto-align is intended to use with in-editor drag&drop and for ForestMaker actor (to align trees after spawning), it also works in real time. I’ve added a function that can turn on/off realtime aligning. The effect is… Adorable. Meet surFacehugger:

Thanks!

That’s great. Could you possible also include an option to align the mesh normals around the intersection area to the normals of the surface it intersects to? for terminating the lighting seams that is. This is what I mean:

If I’m not mistaken, it’s not possible to change mesh normals in Blueprints, and we can’t do C++ for Marketplace yet, as far as i know.

I already submitted the update on monday, now waiting for response. Hopefully it will be available soon :slight_smile:

The update is live!

I have 2 directional lights in my scene, one for the sun and one for the moon. It might be an idea to make you select a directional light to use with the god rays? Also, maybe a dumb question but, how can you make save a tree?

By default, trees pick first directional light from a level to use it with godrays. You can also specify fixed rotation value. Possibility to pick specified directional light will come in the next update, but even now it’s quite easy to achieve - if you need this before the next update, I can send you a modified blueprint fragment and guide you through the process.

There are no dumb questions :slight_smile: Saving trees (to reuse it in another map/project) is easy and it’s explained in the ‘BigUpdateFeatures’ level - I’ll paste the instructions from there:

To save a tree, select it, click blue ‘Edit Blueprint’ button on the right and choose ‘Create Child Blueprint Class’.
(LOCK trunk/branches/fruits before doing it, it’s under ‘General’ section)
Then you can specify a folder to save and name your tree.
Example saved trees are located in Blueprints\SavedTrees\ folder.

Thx for the quick reply mate :slight_smile:

… No but one can feel dumb when asking :wink:

Quick update: A small hotfix (+ new godray features) is live!

Notes:

• Possibility to pick specified DirectionalLight from a scene to use with godrays.
  • Godrays dynamic direction updating (to match current DirectionalLight direction) with adjustable time intervals
  • A few logic fixes and some fine-tuning

Godrays: Light direction refreshing with secondary specified DirectionalLight preview: http://gph.is/1Uicn77

You work fast kind sir! :slight_smile: thank you for your quick service :slight_smile:

I’m working on new features (more info soon!) & material improvements. Just semi-randomly achieved this: http://gph.is/1VAMAYA

Happy little trees. Bob Ross approves.
Maybe I should add some surreal effects like this to ‘Extras’ section, hm? :wink:

If you refine these effects and add more variables to finetune the shapes your generator might be very useful for creating alien plants of all sort for sci-fi as well as fantasy games.

Hi @Slavq

It is reserved. I plan purchaising it, imperatively, very soon!

Because I prefer more your solution than SpeedTree subscription method!
not that SpeedTree is expensive, but I do not like the subscription model adopted by IDV, $19.00 / month,
for a lifetime. Prior, like Allegorithmic’s method, would be much better!

But anyway your Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator is a better solution for a real indie authoring, It has a more honest price.
Does not needs a constant internet connection, and the generated trees can be considered as our own authoring.
Since working in editing tileable textures, alpha images, and placeholder models from scratch is the same found in SpeedTree,
or another procedural software, but with the difference of being our own original work.

@DarkS474
Yeah, I’m thinking about adding an extra ‘surreal’ section for creating things like that in some future update.

@lunyBunny
Thank you! If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or on contact email.

Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator is still ‘growing’ and new features will come, since I actively work on this along with my game, to implement many tree/foliage-related dynamic features. Stay tuned!

Hey Slavq,

First nice work.
Second, those interactive foliage are skinned/bones? because I tried to do it that way and it was generally a big red card for performance. Not sure if you have done it another way that’d be very efficient when there is a lot of it and player running through?

Thank you!
No, they’re not skinned, plant interaction is based on actor/component rotation. I also try to optimize all the interaction animations by not every-ticking their rotators, but updating every like ~0.02s - it doesn’t make a noticeable difference and saves a lot of performance when there is a lot of plants. I’m also considering adding another optional animation system for plants based on material vertex offset (maybe it’ll appear in next update), but for now, the current system does the job.
Of course I would not suggest to place these plants as dense as grass - for this it’s better to use regular instanced grass/foliage meshes placed by Foliage tool and add interactive plants on top of that, as a decoration.

Psst, sneak peek: New wind/impulse animation system overhaul for trees is almost done and will come with next update. More performant, more versatile, and less bug prone. More info soon!

New update for 4.10 and 4.11 will be submitted today. It will include overhauled wind/impulse animation system (more versatile & optimized) and some other new features & improvements - I’ll post the update notes soon.