Dynamic Scan Post Process FX [Radar Pulse]

Hi , my problem is this when I try the material the screen is all black, the game it’s working sound, 2d stuff etc.
I have copy all code, name,settings but I don’t understand why the screen it’s only black.
Thx.

Very cool stuff.
For my project i need a viewconeshaped sonar visual effect, with the option to register hits.

I tested different stuff, but for now i test shooting some segmented ring meshes and scale them up while flying, delete segments which hit something.
Basic torus/rings, where the segments are an array.
All these lightconestuff i tested before, was not ending, when hitting something. “Shining through” massive objects and hitregistration only with a trace.
My way, a completely wrong way?
:slight_smile:

How does a new guy get that HLSL in to something useful? :expressionless:

inside of the post process box is black with no custom shader material effect

I could really do with some help here too. I am trying the idea in the OP, and when I make it a post process material and add it to the camera as a Blendable, everything goes black. The game runs but the material is entirely black.

If I dont use it as a post process material, but just assign it to a cube, I need to position the camera directly on front and very close to the cube, but then it works. if I move the camera back a bit or to the side at an angle, the effect wont be seen. Please, can anyone explain either why the post process material doesnt work as described, or why I need to specially position the camera relative to the material…

sorry late spam. the code on posting does not seem to be working with the latest unreal version. got multiple lines of "Error: BEGIN OBJECT: Invalid class specified: Begin Object Class=EdGraphPin Name=“EdGraphPin_xxxxx”.
Anyone mighe have any idea? thanks in advance

Dakraid’s code is not works in 4.14, so i followed his material expression image in 4.14.

If wanna Begin Object Class=MaterialGraphNode Name="MaterialGraphNode_0" Begin Object - Pastebin.com

Hi All,

This looks awesome, but though I can use the code from Sharku2011 (for 4.14), I’m not sure how to make this work in my levels. I do create a static mesh against a post-processing volume and then assign this material to the mesh? I’ve tried that and its not working (I’ve placed objects within the post-processing volume, but no joy). Any steps I’m missing?

Thanks JBaldwin for the awesome Material Function!
I’m currently using it as a scan that I want to trigger per mouse click.
The only problem I have so far is to actually just let the wave “die out” after a certain amount of time.
Right now I handle the time through a timeline, so I can tell it to exactly run 4 seconds for example.
The problem with this is, that the wave is still “standing” in the level (on startup and after I triggered the wave)

Video: 2017-11-18_14-52-52.mp4 - Google Drive

Maybe someone can help me, how could I possibly “kill” the wave after a certain amount of time and spawn at again from the start when I click the trigger ?
Thanks in advance,

kool

Hey guys I have been trying to get this to work but so far it does absolutely nothing when I try to run it. I have searched every where to see why it isn’t running properly but haven’t found out why yet. @Dakraid If you can help by looking over my blueprint for the post process material that would be great! Below are some clear pictures of the code and what I have done to try and fix any errors. Mainly, I feel my eyes are so strained I am unable to see the error even if it was inches away from my face.

Hello, i know this is an old thread but do you know if it’s possible to have the same effect but without turn the screen black

Dakraid’s version seems to be not working for me in 4.27. Should it animate itself? Coz dark version working fine, but just useless for my project. Any advice if i may.