Download

Doing Dialog Do we need to define many conditions?

In doing these dialog storylines type games, I am finding I have to set up lots of checking flags up for the areas that the dialog is in to make sure the npc’s storylines don’t criss-cross over one another, that the npc dosen’t speak the same conversation piece to you more than once and that the quest is not repeated again once its already been completed
if you revisit the same area that the quest is in,

That’s what I had to do in the batch script to get my dialog to pop up at the proper
times to stop npc’s from always repeating themselves, to stop rooms from repeating the same events.

So is it the same way when working with 3d space with all these blueprints that we have to also set up all these rule checks on everything?

Because when I look at the blueprint code of other people, I see that a good portion of the code is written to do alot of checking on all the variables that are defined… I guess
the engine dosen’t know where to put all the boundaries in place unless we tell it to.

But then if you have to do all this self-checking on all your variables to make sure they don’t go out of bounds or to do things you don’t want them to do, then how do we optimise the code once we’ve entered in all these checks because the editor is rather slow and sluggish…

If the editor is slow, your computer might be the problem.

But you are correct in that having a well designed system for handling all those flags is important, or they will quickly become difficult to keep track of.