Discord chat for UE4 devs

1 Like

We already have over 2000 people using Slack:

oh i didn’t knew about it

I tried Discord and I didn’t quite like it. I like Telegram because it has virtually no limit on upload size (discord has 8MB), it’s available on more devices and platforms, and there is a reply function which discord lacks. There is no dedicated UE4 dev group but there is a gamedev and a graphics group. join the graphics group here and ask us to invite you to the gamedev chat.

Discord is excellent for voice chat, that’s where it’s strengths lie (for example, a game server with two teams can easily both hop into the same Discord server and have shared text chat, but separate voice chat channels that can be dropped in and out of freely).

could you explain me guys why you’re outside discord?

Sweet, logging in now!

So many people, not so active? Or is it me?

There is another discord group with a bunch of the Discord Devs and Unreal Devs:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?71341-Unreal-Slackers-The-unofficial-Discord-chat-for-Unreal-Engine-developers

Just be sure to never reveal any personal information on Discord. The channels are heavily monitored and data is collected. You can do your own research on Google but it appears the guy who runs Discord has a history of spying and selling personal data

I could but I would be banned from this forum. There have been documented cases where Discord has forwarded personal information to a group that specializes in doxing. Like I said, I can not say more here because I want to keep my account. You can either do your own research, believe me, or don’t believe me, up to you. All I want to do is give people here a heads up. Whether you take my advise or not is your choice.

Any updates on that link about discord? Id like to use the service, but I want to know @Wallenstein knows…

I will NOT post anything here, but you can do your own research on the guy who runs discord and his history (OpenFeint just go to Wikipedia) and there are many articles by people claiming that the contents of their chat has been leaked.
Now I’m not saying you can’t use Discord to talk to people about Unreal Bugs or Marketplace sets. what I’m saying is to NOT use your personal info there and to consider using a VPN

Thanks guys!!!

Regardless it’s just common sense to not mention personal info in such places not even in forums like this >.< Having a different handle/email for different places can be a little nice sometimes especially to reduce harm when being compromised. And having different passwords for different things >.> If you take a hit because you weren’t careful in these regards it’s no one else’s fault.

It’s very easy to write things that capture logs from places like discord, irc, forums, you name it. It’s just text to scrape. Some people do it to test their homebrew ai for things like trying to spot accounts with potentially the same owner by finding speech patterns or whatever else. Some do it for statistical research. Some do it just for fun. Your accountable for what you type in public. It may never go away.

You can buy a bundle to upload larger amount of files in Discordapp or you can use for example MediaFire.

​​​​​​Well I was kickbanned permanently Unreal Slackers(they don’t tolerate music meme gag jokes,pirated software so I guess metaphorically this means no bootlegs-remade or demade retro video games from 80’s and 90’s,no copyrights infringement so I guess no mentioning of old Epic Games PC games from early and late 90’s I guess same goes for former employees so PTSD or negative manners similar to schizophrenia results sudden ban,no NSFW behaviors such as stalking,doxxing, prying in someone’s private life,grooming,sexting, flirting in unreal slackers discord server. 3 years have been pass since this thread was closed. https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm…ine-developers
How unfortunate that Fortnite Battle Royale forum moved to and was switched to Reddit. I can’t even find forum archives in Way Back Machine.

I don’t understand the issue. If you are like me, in the US, everything we say, do or flush is databased in real time, in perpetuity. Data is the new oil, except it never goes bad.
So, say you dox yourself, I don’t see how you weren’t already doxxed. Discord, if you look at it’s background tasks is as much a data vacuum, as is twitter, google, …, firefox, …, anything on the computer. WWW stood for world wide wiretap for a reason.
What happens if you discuss Marketplace items? The creator cries or something? Wouldn’t bugs found be just free QA/QI for the Unreal devs? What am I missing?

Discord isn’t private and doesn’t pretend to be, and anything you write there is theoretically accessible by anyone - there’s no point being needlessly alarmist about it. There are no data breach risks if you don’t post anything you wouldn’t post somewhere like this message board (and there’s no requirement to sign up with anything more than an e-mail address).

It’s also pretty unreasonable to expect end-to-end encryption on a chat server used by some 25,000 free users.

It’s really very ironic that you’d mention WhatsApp and Zoom in this context, the latter in particular.

Zoom does not support E2EE (and lied about their security capabilities), leading to big problems with people intercepting or joining supposedly private voice calls. It’s so much of an issue, that it even has it’s own Wikipedia page;

They’re still working on preventing that now.

WhatsApp is less vulnerable, but it has a very small maximum group size, and a maximum call size of 4 people. That’s how they can use E2EE encryption. Discord on the other hand doesn’t claim to be secure. It’s a public social media / chat platform that happens to allow private messaging and voice calls, just like many other social platforms.

Discord and WhatsApp are not equivalents. Discord is a social group application, hence allowing servers with populations three full orders of magnitude greater than WhatsApp (I believe the largest Discord server has nearly half a million users), and allowing voice calls between 25 users and video streams to 50 users.