Download

developing and content creation on mac / laptop

is it recommnded to develop and create 3d content on a macbook or a windows laptop?
is a mac good for UE4 developing?

hi,
I’ve been working with UE4 for some months on a “not so strong” asus laptop with a intel i7 and GeForce GT 740. and it wasn’t fun waiting for the computer to catch up with my speed.

I’m going to buy a new computer. a laptop.
I have done some web developing with a mac and it run really smooth compared to a PC, and I’m tempted to move on to a high end mac.
but the biggest question to me is “is a macbook will good for 3d game developing?”
after all, a mac isn’t considered a gaming computer. so how good can it be for game developing?!

lets say a macbook pro:
2.7GHz or 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
Intel Iris Pro Graphics or Intel Iris Pro Graphics and AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
will it be good?

is it possible to find a laptop that will run UE4 for developing and highend 3d games smooth?

thanks.

I assure you, Macs are anything but optimal for game development in UE4. A quick comparison between the maxed out Mac Pro (~$9000) and my PC (~$1500) gives me 110 fps while the Mac Pro only gets 75 fps. If that’s not an indicator of how it will perform with a cheaper $2000 Apple product, I don’t know what is.

As for Windows Laptops, the Asus ROG line seems popular among UE4 users. I haven’t used any of these laptops, but I’d get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DB72-17-3-Inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00YR6BNVS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1447294666&sr=8-6&keywords=asus+laptop+rog

Ok, so Mac is out of the question.
I’ve looked at ROG’s specs, looks nice and strong a graphic card. Can see why it’s popular.
Thanks alot.

Does any one have more suggestions for a laptop?