Studio to UE4 (Tutorial) Part 1

Well it’s one of those things that’s only hard until it becomes easy but does get a bit foggy based on the purpose the asset needs to serve and and the vast different options based on the objects your looking to export.

If it helps though I’ll be happy to do up a tutorial in project form with the intent to take a a clothed G3 model, with LOD’s,from Studio into UE4 from scratch.

As mentioned though the tutorials DS>UE4 are out of date as moving stuff over to 3ds Max first to make fix deal breaker issues was solved in 4.15-4.16

Kia ora

@FrankieV that would be really great mate, really great, I love to see an option in such a tutorial for making the clothing Item change able to the char can swap gear to wear what the pick from chest or enemies etc, as in like the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games

I’m currently struggling with this part. I purchased all of the Animset Pro packages from UE marketplace a long time ago and had them working on some Mixamo characters at one point, but I haven’t been able to use any of them on the DS characters because I can’t get retargeting to work. I’ve always had trouble with the UE4 retargeting.

It seems that if you could import all of your characters into UE already rigged to UE4’s skeleton, it would make the process much easier, so I’ve been going through DS and matching the pose to the UE4 mannequin so I can save it as a preset. Then in 3d studio, I delete the head bone and skin mesh from the UE4 mannequin in one 3dx file and delete all of the bones except for the head in my exported DS 3ds file. After that, I merge the two together and move the head bone from DS under the UE4 neck_01 and I was able to export/import the result into UE and get the animation working for the head, along with all of the face morphs from RL, but the rest of the body isn’t attaching to the skeleton for some reason. I’ve added all of the bones to the skin modifier. Any ideas?

Well this is my problem too, I am not an artists so I always try to make my workflow as art independent as posible.
One workflow I was using is rig the model in mixamo, but of course you loose every morph from the model.
I will give a try to motion builder, there is a video in the las thread page and I want to try the workflow.

I just figured out a pretty easy way to do it using only DS and UE. Once you get the bone-bone relationship figured out for the rigging, it’s just a matter of creating a pose in DS that matches the UE4 default skeleton, the A-Pose I believe. It’s a lot easier this way because you can dial in each pose position using the float fields rather than guessing with the 3d gizmo in the UE Editor, so you can be a lot more precise. I just exported the UE4 mannequin into 3d studio and kept changing the pose and exporting/importing (merging) it into the UE4 scene until I had it all matched up. I’ll write a tutorial and post all of the values when I get a chance. I still need to tweak it a little bit on the fingers.

Once you have your pose exactly like the UE4 mannequin, then do a File->Save As and save it as a Pose Preset. Now any time you create a character in DS, just add that pose before you export. One thing to note here… I already had a pose preset from iClone for all of the face morphs so I had to apply that first, then lock down the head and apply the A pose to the body. It was the only way to use both poses on the same figure.

Now just export your character with the A pose as an fbx with the morphs (I used 2012 binary) and drag it right into the UE4 Editor (I’m using 4.16). Let it create a skeleton and be sure you import the morphs, etc. Then just create the rig. I’ll post the reference to that as well. In my case, “Genesis3Male” was my root node.

Once you’ve created the rig, you can retarget an animation and when it’s done, open up the animation (it’s going to be ugly at first) and at the very bottom-right corner of the Skeleton Tree tab, select the drop-down and check the top option, “Show Retargeting Options”. Then right-click on the root node (again, “Genesis3Male” in my case) and select “Recursively Set Translation Retargeting Skeleton”. That should clean it up.

Of course, you only have to create the rig once. After that, just create more DS characters, apply the A pose and import it into UE4 using the original DAZ3D skeleton.

EDIT: This didn’t work. I got them perfectly lined up and the character doesn’t look natural at all, arms too long, shoulders too far back, hands too big, and even though the hands are exactly the same on both sides, the fingers on one hand are still mangled. I’m not sure what’s going on there. The animations themselves look fine but the UE skeleton doesn’t appear to be ideal for matching up human characters, at least not the grey one. The old blue guy seemed better.

That look good enough for me!Can you share the picture of node setup?Thank you!

It’s the exact material from Epics Photorealistic Character demo. I just replaced the textures and tweaked a few of the parameters on the material instance.

Does anyone know if I can import a Genesis 2 Daz3d character into 4.15.1?

The model should import but up to 4.15 there are issues as to the fidelity of the imported assets. Studio uses a custom weight map and some of the vertices would import with zero weights. Materials was also a problem as they looked like plastic wrappings.

OK so Studio has been updated to 4.10 with some nice feature additions as well as a “flexible” license addition that still requires a Dev license but there is an interesting addition.

Three Dimensional Works. wishes to encourage the expansion of the catalog of Content available to its users. Accordingly, User may access, use, copy, and modify the Content to create one or more derived or additional three-dimensional works provided that:

• any such derived or additional three-dimensional works are designed to require or encourage the use of CRT Content available through the online store either by (i) requiring the use of such CRT Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with CRT Content from the online store; and
  • upon receipt of a written request from , User immediately ceases any and all distribution of the art that User has created from the CRT Content, if has determined, in its sole discretion, that (i) such art is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) such derived or additional work fails to require the use of Content available through the online store.

So more or less a derivative of the Genesis figure can be shared and made available, much in the same manner that the Epic mannequin figure is used, as long as it encourages the expansion of the content catalogue.

Hi All, sorry to bring an old thread back but I am having a really tough time with clothing in UE4… So in my game I would like to be able to equip and unequip an outfit from . I set it up in , exported to blender via collada and separated the character mesh from the outfit.

I then exported those separately via fbx into unreal (same skeleton). I retargeted the skeleton to animate well from the mannequin and just swapped out the mesh.

I then added the outfit mesh to the character blueprint and set a master pose component. When I go to play the game the clothing is synched but not attached to the character and appears ‘floppy’ especially in the legs. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Here are some of the troubleshooting things that I have tried:

• I tried importing the character straight from via fbx with clothing baked and it gave me the same weird result
  • I tried making a ‘shirt’ out of the characters skin mesh in blender and it works perfectly so I know the master pose component is working.

I am completely stumped… Please help!

Yeah this was exactly my problem in 4.15. I’m basically looking to get an astronaut model into the game.

Looks really good but not so much in UE4. Is there no solution?