Crashing on tiled landscape import in UE5

Hello! I’m trying to import a tiled landscape from world machine into UE5. it’s 12x12 2017x2017 tiles, which on disk are around 4.2 GB. When I pick the 0x_0y tile, the entire engine crashes to desktop and leaves me with the following error:

Now, I am pretty sure this is an overflow of something because it’s talking about allocating over 18000 petabytes of data, which is multiple orders of magnitude off the scale I’m working at here. So I’m wondering if there is some engine memory allowance I need to tweak upwards, or something?

I should note that when attempting to import I get a brief spike of CPU activity on all cores, ram usage jumps about 2GB, and then it errors out. I still have over 16GB of ram free when that happens.

If anyone here has an idea, please let me know!

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformMemory.cpp] [Line: 221] Ran out of memory allocating 18446744069803962656 bytes with alignment 2. Last error msg: There are no more files…

UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_LandscapeEditor
UnrealEditor_PropertyEditor
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
InkObj
atlthunk
user32
user32
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Screenshot 2022-04-17 013517
Update: Now I’m receiving this error when trying to import. This was on a 8x8 tileset of 2017x2017 tiles. I’m on an RTX3080, so 10GB of vram.

Update: the 16k landscape is successfully importing as a single file, not a tileset. the single file import hits my RAM hard, but it does make it out the other side. I’m seeing it fill my 32GB of ram and then hit the page file too. This is for a 231MB file on disk. I doubt I could go much bigger as a single file. and the 4x4 4k tileset still hits the vram error mentioned above.

World partition looks really cool but it seems world composition was actually better suited to large worlds.