Crash on 'Save All' (4.2)

I can’t even open that function now without crashing editor now. Callstack: https://s3.amazonaws.com/piinecone/crash/ue4_bp_callstack_2.rtf

It’s a different project, I’m uploading archive to S3 now. I’ll put download link here when it’s done, shouldn’t be long.

Is function in project you uploaded previously? Which function, and in which Blueprint?

Hey ,

You can grab project archive here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/piinecone/crash/LimbxFlyer.

Open up RingManager blueprint (you’ll notice that it doesn’t compile). Double click on the “DisplayRingsForPathDots” function in event graph and you should crash.

I’m currently transferring project to my PC to see if I can get it working there.

Seems like this crashes on PC, too. I can’t get that function to open, I think I’ll just rewrite it. Can you figure out why it’s crashing or how to recover it?

It seems that deleting a local variable from a blueprint causes an immediate crash (windows and mac), and then attempting to reopen that blueprint causes editor to crash. It’s been necessary for me to delete blueprint and try to recreate it entirely.

RingManager Blueprint is empty. Double clicking on DisplayRingsForPathDots function does crash editor, but deleting function and creating a new one fixed that issue for me. I suspect function was corrupted somehow, and I do not believe it can be recovered. It was an empty function on my end, so there isn’t much I can do. If you switch to function’s tab, you might be able to copy nodes and paste them into a new function.

Hey , thanks for looking at that project.

That blueprint definitely wasn’t empty. I think adding/removing a referenced local variable to DisplayRingsForPathDots function corrupted it, then after deleting that function entire blueprint was corrupted. I was able to reproduce this on both Windows and Mac several times.

I don’t think double clicking on a function should ever cause a crash, ideally. I was able to keep working by deleting entire blueprint and recreating it, but that’s wasted time and effort. Now I’m crashing repeatedly when trying to add a ForEachLoop node and I’m concerned I’m going to have to do same thing. What happens when I lose a blueprint I’ve worked on for weeks? Do I just have to start from scratch?

I Command+S like a crazy person, but I still lose work. I originally suspected OS X growing pains, but I have similar instability on Windows. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to get a bit more stability? I’m really concerned about losing work going forward.

It looks like I lost entire blueprint. I can open project, but I can’t open blueprint I was working on. last thing that happened was I hit “Compile”, editor crashed, and now reopening blueprint causes editor to crash every time.

Do you want an archive of project?

Is there any way to recover this blueprint? I can’t keep losing full days’ worth of work.

Okay, it sounds like you’re experiencing different bugs in a different project than what you originally posted about, so I need some clarification on what full extent of current issues is. It sounds like these are not Mac exclusive bugs, and may be linked to your specific project. Can you tell me exactly what you are currently experiencing, and if these problems happen in a new project?

What I would suggest is opening a new project and transferring assets over in small groups until you narrow down cause of bugs you are currently experiencing, then lettings us know exact repro steps and specific asset that causes bugs.

As for your Blueprint, there isn’t much we can do with a corrupted asset and I don’t think we could recover it. If you have an Archived project, you should be able to pull content of Blueprint out (not Blueprint .uasset itself, but copy/pasting nodes). If it begins causing same issues, then we might be able to figure out why.

I apologize for problems you’re running into, and you’re correct that you shouldn’t ever be crashing, but without being able to narrow down cause of problem and reproduce it, we’re at a bit of a loss for how to fix it.

Hey ,

I think you can mark this issue resolved since I haven’t had time to actually reproduce Save All level editor crashes (I think it was related to BSP but I don’t have a reproducible case). That, and switching to PC seemed to ameliorate issue I was having.

As far corrupting blueprints bug, I’ve created a new report here: Blueprint corruption, crashes, and instability (4.2+) - Blueprint - Epic Developer Community Forums. I included assets and reproduction steps for particular asset/function.

I’m going to write a utility today that constantly backs up my files while I work. next time I encounter this crash/corruption, I’ll rewind asset and try to reproduce it. If I can, I’ll be able to give you guys a clear case.

Thanks for your patience and for looking into this for me! I know it’s tough to narrow these things down without specific steps.

As for your Blueprint, there isn’t much we can do with a corrupted asset and I don’t think we could recover it. If you have an Archived project, you should be able to pull content of Blueprint out (not Blueprint .uasset itself, but copy/pasting nodes). If it begins causing same issues, then we might be able to figure out why.

How do I do this in case where opening blueprint crashes editor?

Thanks for opening new bug report; we’ll be able to monitor that one better there. For corrupted Blueprint, I meant that if you have an older version of project saved, you should be able to open that one and copy/paste it into a new blueprint.