Crash :: Access violation - code c0000005 after opening PlayerController

'm having an issue when I open my custom PlayerController in blueprints the editor crashes immediately. This happened after I started adding new Run On Server RPC events to my “Bootstrap / Initialization” custom event graph in my PlayerController. I belive the offending code in the PlayerController is a class variable that is named BPIGameState of type BPI_GameState (interface type).

I also posted here, but I never heard back from Epic and it’s frustrating that I’ve got such a critical bug that I can’t move forward on my project. Crash :: Access violation - code c0000005 after opening PlayerController - Blueprint - Epic Developer Community Forums

You can download my project from here Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

When you open the project if you try to edit Content/RTS/Core/Player/BP_CameraPawnController the editor crashes before it can open the blueprint.

Download logs here 118430-ue4cc-windows-13e522e8446b654cb78b7cbd8d7553df_0000.zip (66.3 KB)

MachineId:EpicAccountId:
Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
UE4Editor_Engine!UKismetSystemLibrary::SetInterfacePropertyByName() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\kismetsystemlibrary.cpp:799] UE4Editor_Engine!UKismetSystemLibrary::execSetInterfacePropertyByName() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\classes\kismet\kismetsystemlibrary.h:62] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UFunction::Invoke() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\class.cpp:4474] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::CallFunction() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:700] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessContextOpcode() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:2139] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessInternal() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:925] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::CallFunction() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:824] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::execVirtualFunction() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:2245] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessInternal() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:925] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::CallFunction() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:824] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::execVirtualFunction() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:2245] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessInternal() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:925] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::CallFunction() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:824] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::execVirtualFunction() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:2245] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessInternal() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:925] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UFunction::Invoke() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\class.cpp:4474] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessEvent() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:1308] UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::ProcessEvent() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:649] UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::ReceiveTick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\intermediate\build\win64\ue4editor\inc\engine\engine.generated.1.cpp:2851] UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:852] UE4Editor_Engine!APlayerController::TickActor() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\playercontroller.cpp:4061] UE4Editor_Engine!FActorTickFunction::ExecuteTick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:113] UE4Editor_Engine!FTickFunctionTask::DoTask() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private icktaskmanager.cpp:256] UE4Editor_Engine!TGraphTask::ExecuteTask() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async askgraphinterfaces.h:868] UE4Editor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async askgraph.cpp:932] UE4Editor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async askgraph.cpp:679] UE4Editor_Core!FTaskGraphImplementation::WaitUntilTasksComplete() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async askgraph.cpp:1776] UE4Editor_Engine!FTickTaskSequencer::ReleaseTickGroup() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private icktaskmanager.cpp:525] UE4Editor_Engine!FTickTaskManager::RunTickGroup() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private icktaskmanager.cpp:1437] UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::RunTickGroup() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:730] UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:1340] UE4Editor_Kismet!FSCSEditorViewportClient::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\kismet\private\scseditorviewportclient.cpp:202] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:1490] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:371] UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2859] UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:152] UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126] UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202] UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264] kernel32 ntdll

Hey there,

I don’t really think this can be resolved easily.

You might need to remove and redo this exact Controller Blueprint.

And YES, this is not cool at all, but this is the first reason why you ALWAYS should use SourceControl.

Then you would be able to go back a revision before the crashing happened and still have most of your work inside of this blueprint.

Only other random idea would be migrating the Blueprint into an empty project and trying to open it there. If it opens, you could
try to remove the bad code out of it.

I am using source control, unfortunately, I’ve made a bunch of changes since my last commit instead of doing “incremental commits”.

I can Migrate the blueprint to another project, but the same thing happens.

There’s an “Export” option which appears to export the blueprint as non-binary text in YAML or some other parseable format. However, I do not see an option to import this type of file into the editor. If there was an option to import this file that would make life a lot easier at times like these because at least the file can be edited manually outside of the UE4 editor.