Download

Complex crystal chandelier help

Hello, I have been tasked to create a chandelier: http://esvitale.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/lolli-memmoli-v-rec/lolli-memmoli-v-rec.jpg

Well, technically it would be in a giant oval, so that picture is probably about 10-20% of the final size. I honestly don’t know how to begin this one. Doing it through a static mesh seems like it would be incredibly dense and cause major issues but breaking it up into strands would cause too many draw calls. Any tips of how to tackle this would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

PS - I thought maybe to treat it like foliage, create a few variations and “paint” them into the shape I need, but I don’t know if that’s a good idea.

You can make a material that always faces the camera and have a skinny plane for each string.

It’s a good idea but unfortunately the shapes aren’t round spheres so it would look really bizarre when looking from below and it facing the player. This is going to be in an ArchViz scene so it needs to look as realistic as possible.

Could probably still get away with using strips that rotate to face camera and having the last 3 beads as square polygons set to always face camera.

Or could have 2 LODs ones with strips and one with each bead.