[Community Project] WIP Weather & Water Shader

came the version 4.13 of unreal engine :smiley: :smiley:

Hi guys great work again, I never heard back on my original questions but I created WIP video a few weeks ago, its made more progress since point but I figured you might want to see someone using the Plugin work. I am having trouble cooking / compiling in 4.12.5, just with a default FPS project and if I remove it it does work fine. is the link to video and the error message.

I tried having the plug in the project directory only, also in the engine directory only, and both now I am moving the source around the see if I can get it work that way.

Video Project Tropic: WIP
https://vimeo.com/175580647

Error message after it starts to run:

Plugin ā€˜OceanPluginā€™ failed to load because module ā€˜OceanPluginā€™ could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is properly installed, otherwise consider disabling it the plugin for project.

Now we know it works in the editor and I have been using it for a few weeks now, but happens when I try to compile the project using development build, and it gets about 75% ready to run before the error.

I tried reinstalled Visual Studio, only way I can get it to work is to remove the plugin from the directory, when I run the level it still works but no is visible.

Couple of the warnings:

ProjectTropic: LogInit:Display: RandInit(-2083562135) SRandInit(-2083562133).LogModuleManager:Warning: ModuleManager: Module ā€˜OceanPluginā€™ not found - its StaticallyLinkedModuleInitializers function is null.
ProjectTropic: [2016.08.05-07.22.10:916] 0]LogModuleManager:Warning: ModuleManager: Module ā€˜OceanPluginā€™ not found - its StaticallyLinkedModuleInitializers function is null.

Add++ I renamed the Ent in my level to vex_ocean is that going to create trouble like I said before it all works fine in the editor just when I try to cook / compile / pak it do the errors happen.

Add+++ I forgot to mention I am getting tired that I am doing through the frontend launcher when it fails. The code does compile in the editor, and does seem to update the .dll.

Add++++ So to get fixed i had to run the process through VS2015, clean and rebuild everything, then it worked through the Project Launcher. I built shipping and dev no editor, etc all worked. The only thing the Project Launcher did was cook a few assets that had changed.

My comments on the project as a non engineer:

1. its a very cool free plugin.

2. it will only work at point on Windows, but with the new version of Unreal 4.13 coming with more support for AMD and I am sure will be update to work with it which will help me since some of my devs are on Macs.

3. Separate the Time of Day and into 2 separate projects on githib, and have one combo branch for people that want both. I had no interest in time of day changing since I saw what it was like on the early versions of QuakeWars when I was working on that product. The game has to be built around and designed around that concept and if it is great but most games dont need it, I could create 3 post setups with different lighting on the same level and get every time of day I feel is worth having a player play.

4. You guys have made deployment harder by including all the great samples, I love the samples and used them to learn how you setup your tests so I could apply it to my project but when it came time to I had to go through and remove every asset manually to speed up my cooking time and reduce my overall memory footprint. I would make it clearer which items are the critical components for each part / time of day and which are the extras I did through trial and error and removed all the time of day I had already modā€™d the default skybox to fit the needs of my project, for instance in the movie you can see I have a big sun and the over rides didnt work to do that I had to into BP to scale it from the original source.

My perfect setup would be to strip out all the models, textures, materials not required for the base , stack the time of day on top base only no content, then the full kit with all the samples for both would be my perfect setup, seems like you are going in that direction.

1. Next time you are doing a large pass clean up and get rid of all old stuff that isnt required anymore, some of the those assets are land mines that cause people to have troubles.

** Requests:**

Wet - Allow the user to set a color and add a wetness values and drying values based in the (full system) time of day (how hot is the sun? how fast is the drying after the waves hit shore?) would have made me want to use the Time of Day .

Any updates on the fluid surface? @?

Progress is been made on the GPU implementation.
Iā€™m currently out of town for vacationā€¦ I can still work on my laptop but progress will most likely be slow for the next few weeks :stuck_out_tongue:

In the meantime, hereā€™s an (early wip) screen of a new water shader Iā€™m working on, using a custom lighting model.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4bb5/c4of1c968519vurzg.jpg?size_id=7

hi
great job is awesom but just one question could you plz upload just the shader thats because i dont want the buyoncy and all that other stuff i only need the material because it will not be a playable area and that a very good material and that i have a very slow internet i couldnā€™t download all the project (50 h ??)
i need only the material

is a really great project. I am having an on my end, though. When I start playing the game, the resolution takes a major nose dive. Everything is incredibly aliased. What setting do I have that I need to change in order to fix ?

I seem to be having problems migrating the contents of the project to my own project as on .12.5.

Even the included maps fail to have the plane present.

Any ideas?

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Having the same, weā€™re on 4.12.5, and am using 4.12 from here: https://.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject/tree/4.12
I copied the OceanPlugin folder to Engine\Plugins, and then activated the plugin in our uproject file:

{
  "Name": "OceanPlugin",
  "Enabled": true
},

If anyone has a work around please post it, working on it myself now. Might be some sort of bug in 4.12 as detailed here: questions/438712/uht-inconsistency-can-prevent-projects-from-buildi.html?sort=oldest

Edit: Solution was to put it in my games plugin folder, rather than the engine one. <your game>/Plugins
The UHT auto generates a category based on the file name everywhere but the engine code, for whatever reason, including plugins.

@ , thatā€™s good to hear, and enjoy your vacation. If you intend on doing future projects, maybe a development road-map would be a neat option? Because we can follow your progress, and a lot of us are very eager to get our hands on the interactive surface. :slight_smile:

I have it working in 4.12.5 for both people looking for it and it compiles and deploys, cooks etc. After going through 40 pages of on thread and searching I found that they say to place the plug in the project directory not the engine directory, I tried both but ended up having be in the project directory was the only way to get it compile and cook even though it did work in engine directory up to that point just fine. My process for getting to work was to start one step at time, like all black box code from outside sources.

First test is to make it works at all.

Find and open up the example project from the directory with out anything being touched. If works you know that your hardware is fine and you have all the content you need, if isnā€™t working then adding it a project isnā€™t going to help you something is missing most likely hardware related.

Step two, test it on an example project from Epic, follow the directions they provide copy what you need, and make sure you can do that. way if you are not breaking your working project and you can keep it clean.

What I did at point was try an learn how it worked from a content level, how to place a new object or the boat with out using the examples, looked at all the shaders, studied the time of day, and then decided I didnt want it. learned how to remove it with out breaking anything else which was easy just wanted to make sure they were not tied together in some complex way that force me to use the ToD .

Once you pass step, remove it from the engine side, copy just what you need over to your project you will find that it does contain out of date content that seems to have no purpose as they are little sloppy to clean it up. Just avoid using options where the shader is blank like anything with the label ā€œoldā€ etc. You will also find it has things related to the boat mp game, and UI, for me I just wanted the so spending the time figure out how to avoid taking it all was worth it for me.

One thing to note is if you turn on the shader profiler once you get it running, it is very expensive on the rendering side, it will be the most expensive item in your scene even if you lower it down the lowest (fewest features) settings.

For a free plug in though its very pretty.

Sorry Iā€™m dumb, do you mean if iā€™m compiling the engine myself?

You are copy-patsing rather than right click -> migrate or you are migrating to a folder other than /content/ root.

Either or both. I got it working with 4.12.5 just with what you get from downloading, once I wanted to compile the engine and cook the content to give it to others then I spent time getting that part working which was a combination of troubles some on my end some with the plugin, after I fixed VS2015 I was still having troubles with the plugin but it was because I was trying to compile it through the launcher not VS2015. If you scroll up you can see a post from me where I am going through the process of getting to work including some of the error messages.

If you post your error or troubles I am sure we can help you get it working.

To START: All you should have to do is download it from , unzip it, and open up the example projects they give you, you should see water, boats, 3rd person character, ToD, and floating things in the default level it opens when you click Play in Editor or PIE. Did you get that far?

My Hardware was a 580GTX with i7 3770 nothing special I upgraded the video card to a 1080GTX after I made that WIP video. So it worked on a 6 year old card.

Do you have nvidia / intel ? are you on ?

Wow! It is looking AMAZING

Found out it was a struct named the same in sdk as in a class. edit.

When I was digging through the 40 pages looking around for answers, I saw a few times that it isnā€™t supported on or any openGL device. One of my dev buddies is on a and he couldnā€™t run it either.

ADD+ I had an idea that it might work with the changes in 4.13.1 preview soon since they added a lot of specific features, maybe he could see what needs to change and get ahead of the curve.

YES! Cant wait for the update when beauty gets in! By the way for custom lighting model, does that mean that shader itself is using/having it, or does scene has to contribute to some special non-default dirrectional light?

I mayā€¦MAY have migrated CONTENT into contentā€¦I need to check. Baaaw.

That looks great man!

It is so cool, want it bad!)