[Community Project] WIP Weather & Water Shader

is a really great offering to the community! I’m impressed with the quality. Here’s a few screenshots after playing around for a day:

http://i.imgur.com/3BqgYKnm.png
http://i.imgur.com/1rLFipam.png
http://i.imgur.com/gLCrQ9um.png

I (and I’m sure else) would gladly welcome those features! Thanks for the efforts :slight_smile:

I second . Smoother transitions to underwater post processing will really tighten up.

I have a question/suggestion: Any plans to improve the moon? Perhaps I am just not using proper settings, but after tinkering for an hour or so, I couldn’t find anything that looked good. For a one off screenshot, you can make it look good, but overall it’s either bright during the day/night, or dark. I should post some screenshots I suppose, but I’m sure anyone else mucking about has an idea of what I mean.

Also, the skylight… If you update the capture during dusk for example, then we move through to dawn, reflections and ambient lighting colors utilize that old capture. I know we can have it update captures at a certain frequency, though of course is a beast on performance. Perhaps an alternative would be to update the light color, and intensity/indirect intensity throughout the day/night? I’m hoping would be an effective approach.

Again, thanks for the great plugin and resources. I’m thinking thing needs a bad@ss name and logo…

Hi!

I made a mesh-based buoyancy component.

fde6dda05ab906e8cf5c3e9d3f586b181d0913ae.jpeg

Here is an animation! Buoyancy GIF by quantumv | Gfycat

The version with my changes is here: https://.com/quantumv/
Made a pull request to the original project too.

It uses the algorithm in article:

I didn’t implement the water heightmap though.

Tip: Use a simple, low poly mesh for the hull and avoid hollow spaces.

project is amazing! Thank you and !

Now is what I wanted to see. A proper buoyancy model. My point-sphere approach was done only to minimize the number of points doing the wave calculation (and was pretty unrealistic) but modern systems can handle so much more.

Good job.

, I don’t know if you saw or not but I thought I would copy it down again. To be clear, I haven’t had time to look at the 4.9 branch yet so some of could already be fixed:

Would it be possible to add a separate value for Skylight intensity during night in the new skydome? The current skydome has issues if you are trying to get realistic values for both night and day. I am using 1.5 intensity during day and the directional light has a value of 6 (as recommended by a dev that worked on the kite demo). Day looks great but at night shadows are pitch black.

In a nutshell, we need better control over our day and night so that both can look attractive and have equal customization and the player is able to navigate. I feel like I have very little control over the look of my nights. Maybe include the ability to have separate post processes blend together from day to night as well? I find night time is usually very saturated, but I have to add the functionality into the blueprint myself to blend between a night PP and day PP. would be an to have out of the box.

Hi! I thank the guys for their excellent work, and ask for help. For simplicity, I have recorded a video. I create simulator riverboats Russia. But my project is constantly falling. Any attempt to create the Pawn class, or the class of the actor, which is different from BP_BuoyantMeshBoat leads to a fall. (text through an interpreter, I do not speak conversational). Thank you for any help!

[video]- YouTube

VR optimizations?

Are there any optimizations we should keep in mind when using package with VR? I’m getting some nasty flickering on the right eye, for example, and I think that may be because, as Epic has mentioned, Screen Space Reflection stuff doesn’t really work in VR. Any other things to keep in mind in terms of balancing functionality while getting that framerate up above 90? Out of the box I’m getting abt 45FPS on the demo scene, but that’s on soon-to-be-replaced hardware…

From my experience, the itself is probably not taking most of the frame time there. Try moving the (and turn off SSR) into a more empty level and test it there. Also make sure you set up the PostProcessVolume to use VR-optimized settings.

Thanks for the video! It was really helpful. That shouldn’t cause a crash anymore. The component will now apply forces to its parent, if it has a physics body, otherwise to itself. The previous behavior was to apply forces to the root component.
The update is on my fork.

Oh, I didn’t mention last time that the example mesh doesn’t have a roof, so wacky stuff will happen if the top gets submerged. I’d use a closed mesh if there is any that water can get over an edge.

Problems with import

Thanks for the work guys, it’s fantastic!

Now, I’m trying to move everything from the Ocean_Project to another project, but when I try to open, for example, the Blueprint, it hits me with a “Blueprint could not be loaded because it derives from an invalid class. Check to make sure the parent class for blueprint hasn’t been removed!”. Any help with as what to do? Using 4.8.3.

Can you make a tutorial of how you made that “globe” world concept?

How do I get rid of the display? the numbers are great but get in the way.

I’m trying to reference the speed of each fish in an Animation Blueprint, since I’ve made new FlockFish objects with new models that have multiple animations etc. The problem is that the FlockFish objects don’t have a MovementComponent, and the AnimGraph instructional stuff assumes you’re working with the player in third person.

I tried tacking on a FloatingPawnMovement component to my FlockFish object, but that’s still not giving me a speed (extracted from the vector length of the pawn’s velocity). I still just get zeros.

So I guess what comes down to is, how does FishManager move the FlockFish actors? Is there a way that I can reference their speed in an Animation Graph?

could someone please tell me how i make project work (4.91)? I cant just open it, it says “UE4Editor-OceanPlugin.dll is missing or built with a different version, would you like to rebuild now?” I press yes, but it says " could not be compiled. try rebuilding from source manually"

I don’t see a full explanation anywhere. someone please help

Can someone help me with , I’m not making any progress TBH, can’t figure out how to have some sort of collision between the and a cilinder.

Basically I want to build an underwater tower but without water in it. But whenever i submerge the hollowed cilinder (static mesh) it fills with water. Any ideas?

is how it looks like : https://i.imgur.com/YhNJczC.jpg

Are other people just opening the project folder, and it works out of the box?

what you need is get curSpeed value of AFlockFish
it’s not UPROPERTY(BluePrint Read//Write) so you have to change it.
AFlockFish doesn’t have movementcomponent and velocity, so it’s zero naturally

Did you have Visual Studio installed?
And if so, open .sIn with Visual Studio and build it manually.

Try fixing the angle of the plane so it does not stretch that far beyond the shoreline. i.e. check below the ground’s surface to see how far you are overlapping with the water.

hi dear Nubtron, your addition is amazing!

I would like to ask about your tip, what is an estimated maximal poly count for fast buoyancy check?
I have a 13K poly version of my ship which seems fit to your tip (I think) but it doesnt contain the proper details I would need… the version B has 112K polys which seems far too big?
(my little project is about 1:1 battles, so there is up to 2 models in scene)

thanks

13k is definitely way too much. In the original article, the author uses about 35 triangles for his ship!

You should use an invisible simplified model for the physics, and a separate visible detailed model for the graphics.

You can set the BuoyantMeshComponent as a child of your StaticMeshComponent, then uncheck “Visible” in the BuoyantMeshComponent. Just make sure your StaticMeshComponent has “Simulate Physics” enabled and is movable.