[Community Project] WIP Weather & Water Shader

Loaded it fine now, will check it out more properly in the coming days. Thanks man! :slight_smile:

No changes to the links, just has the .PCH files from being compiled?

For you

Whole album can be viewed here. http://imgur.com/a/Iv4H2

We are having 2 issuesā€¦ the stock waves are HUGE. Those subs in the picture are 5 miles long and about half a mile wide and nearly a mile tall, you do the math.

Also it wants to ā€œjitterā€ as in the front of the boat will rise and and down every 100ms or so a few times every few seconds. We are thinking something to do with the buouyancy and might have to script buouyancy for boats that are mostly underwater.

Lastly it calculates the mass as 160 tons. We need 3500 tons.

I should add, if you scale down the waves to flat calm and then bring the camera to the surface, but not yet underwater, a haze appears, and I assume its the underwater fog. Iā€™ll have to do some investigating in the Engine when I have time and in the code if I really have time, its not a game blocker for now.

Edit: Even in the stock waves when the camera is near the water surface but not under it, the full fog occurs until I lift the camera a hair.

Yeah Iā€™m working with him on , we are using my patrol script so maybe I can give you a better picture of whats happening. When we import an 80 meter object your wave height is 1600 meters high. Every model we import has to be exploded to 100 full just to match the size of the wave. i then try lowering the wave settings to scale them down but when we zoom in on the boat for a birds eye view above the water the haze comes in. Do you have the scale for the waves so we can properly model it in our scale or vice versa?

Also Iā€™m getting a weird memory leak when playing and stopping and playing and stopping. It builds a tenth of a gig of ram every time and I have to save exit and reload to set it back. Then it starts all over again. The jittering I think could be the result of my test points and Ill just see if I can mess with it.

Hmm, so the Unreal unit is equal to one cm, that makes more sense now LOL. But still getting the memory leak could it be combined to still? questions/44384/repeating-opening-and-closing-blueprints-causes-me.html

questions/181657/471-memory-leak.html Cause was from 5 days ago not sure if its related

Great! :smiley: Heres your system in use in my project:

Great. Iā€™m new to Unreal (downloaded today) and get on:
/media//DATA/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Developer/AITestSuite/Private/AITestSuitePrivatePCH.h:3: error: Core.h: No such file or directory
#include ā€œCore.hā€

Could I use that in any way or are any restrictions on your work?
Many thanks and regards

Hey that looks pretty good guys! But 5 miles isā€¦ yeahā€¦ thatā€™s a bit too big :wink:

To adjust the scaling for the waves you can select the surface then in the details panel scroll down to the " Manager" section. From here you want to modify the Global Settings, with Wave Length controlling the distance between waves and wave amplitude controlling the height of the waves.

That definitely needs to be fixed though. I have them set like that to make it easier to fine tune the waves, there is a change to the number of waves time which also affects the overall size and distances that will need some adjusting. Iā€™ll test it out a bit and add that in with the next download, thanks for reminding me!

As far as the memory leak goes happens to me as well, it will grow in size after working on it for some time, I usually restart the editor when it gets up to 2.5 to 3gb (starts out at roughly 650mb). I am not sure what is causing , but for me at least it happens in all of my projects (not just the project, and it happens on multiple versions). I will hop on that AnswerHub link as well in a minute.

Hi there, I am not sure what that is related to, I have not seen it before. Can you open the project at all?

And there are no restrictions you can use in any project, free or commercial without any restrictions. You are not required to but I would always love to see how you use it in your game! Have fun with it! :slight_smile:

Any idea on how to fix the fog/haze being applied when the camera is JUST on the surface? I can take a screenshot if youd like but its easy to replicate just go into the water a tiny tiny bit, facing horizontally and then go up and down a hair till you see it

Yes that is underwater fog/PP and the water surface changes. is that hardest part to get right for the underwater system since the post process volume is flat (box) and wonā€™t line up correctly. Post process turns on as soon as you enter the PP volume (instead of a line separating the 2 views, it changes instantly), causing a sudden change that does not necessarily line up with the height of the wave. I have it set to blend at 50 which might be a bit too high, but overall there is no simple fix for . I have tested out with other engines in the past, Cryengineā€™s water works the same way. When you slowly move the camera below the waves, at one point you will either see no underwater PP volume while looking under the wave, or see the PP volume while above the wave. There is no easy solution to that I can find, only way I have seen is creating a dynamic PP volume mesh. In order to do that we would likely need to make changes to the rendering engine.

So for now it is trying to fine tune to get as close as possible, I will continue to look into alternate methods to try.

EDIT: Try adjusting the blend amount on the PP volume. Select the PP_Underwater then scroll to the bottom of the details panel and set the blend amount to 0.
All of the underwater are controlled by the Level Blueprint, so if you want you can remove the fog entirely. It uses the PhysicsVolume as the trigger to turn on the fog , so another option is to move the PhysicsVolume down a little bit.

EDIT 2: - which CPU do you have? When you get a post your DxDiag up here: questions/181657/471-memory-leak.html

Yeah posted it

work we really appreciate all the effort you put into . I wander if anyone could help me with one small problem, its probably something small that i havenā€™t learned yet. I can open the demo project just fine and it all works beautifully, however after i migrate the sky and folders to my project (built on 4.7.2) and try to put BP_ocean into the world i have a red circle with a like through it, it wont let me drop it down. I also cannot open the blueprint, i get error ā€œBlueprint could not be loaded because it derives from an invalid class. Check to make sure the parent class for blueprint hasnā€™t been removed!ā€. mousing over the original BP_ocean in the demo, it is parented to OceanDemo.OceanManager my migrated one is parented to none
iā€™m using a standard 3rd person blueprint project with just a world machine terrain imported and nothing else.

on a side note i used the 4.4 version on a copy of project and it works great.

Iā€™ll contact Sundog studios about it if I remember, or you can. They make Triton, a c++ project for military simulators, or load up Unity and see how they render the underwater to always be at the same verts as the wave mesh.

Hi , do you have any Git project for ? I noticed that you always releasing it via googledrives, is it because the itself is blueprint heavy?

Managed to open the latest on Ubuntu 14.04. (had a previous version from your first post before) Also gave up on Windows for now as I only have VS Express, or should version also work with Qtcreator on Win8?
I guess I miss something? As it looks like below but Iā€™ve only fired up ueditor twice or so for now.

Iā€™m going to combine the two quotes above since they are both relating to the same. The download I released a few days ago is only a temporary one while I get the plugin working (which it now is yay!) and then upload everything to . is the reason @ixcalibur you are having difficulties migrating the project, there is some source code that is required and it is not a simple task to migrate it out as well.

So the plugin will solve that, you will only need to migrate the blueprint and copy the plugin to your new project. will be up on GHitHub asap!!

The blueprint itself isnā€™t overly heavy, right now all together (before being built by the engine on load) the whole project is around 350mb total. I may do something similar to how UE4 used to be retrieved from where the image files and other content will be a separate zip file to be downloaded and extracted if it grows too large.

So is what I am working on now. I created a new organization so I will be able to add anyone wanting to contribute to the project, more info on that shortly!

I have a copy of the Sundog studios standalone demo, I will install it and have a look at their system. I also downloaded Unity 5 yesterday to see how their system works for water, is there any built in water system? Or is it the asset store only?

must be caused by the fact does not use DirectX 11, the material is using a few features that rely on the DX architecture.

You shouldnā€™t need to have VS to open the project, but to be safe I would download the VS 2013 Community edition. It is basically the pro edition with a different licence. So long as you are making less than $1million per year, are using it for a company 5 team members or less, and not creating Enterprise solutions (you arenā€™t with UE4) you can download it and use that instead. Here is the link:

To port the material over to OpenGL would require quite a few changes, but it should be possible. I will add that to the to do list! :slight_smile:

a OpenGL version would be great. As for Unity Iā€™ve tried just before I found UE:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/-renderer.171651/

Iā€™ve vs2013express installed but the previos version wanted vs and didnā€™t find vsexpress. ms is funnyā€¦

Hey ****, canā€™t you just reconstruct pixel position from scene depth map in pixel shader and then just use it as a mask for your underwater PP shader?

Unity has a water soluton but I beleive its just a shader applied to a plane I never played with it. Import the environment asset package when you make a new project. There is ā€˜Water (basic)ā€™ and then drag the day or night version from the prefabs folder into your scene. Its a plane with a shader and animated water texture with a basic script (didnt open the script). Tehn theres regular water under ā€˜Waterā€™ same deal just alot nice working and lastly ā€˜Water 4ā€™ which is the water system they made for unity 4.x Its an actual mesh I used ā€˜water4 advancedā€™ prefab. They use gerstner displacement for the mesh too. They have a bunch of scripts, but it looks like they are wrapped to private DLLs somehow, probably because the water system was pro only before.

Their tiling system works great, blends together perfectly. Gonna have to learn how to tile at least 16 of your planes together to make one ā€œtileā€ in the world and thousands of those for the coast and then at least 26 tiles blended together to make a large that can move with the player for an infinite .

And of course theres the open source water project for unity. I can get you all the versions of that, the underwater version the regular version theres 4-5 good ones. Its all C# though and I beleive they all use FFTs. Franks Triton who knowsā€¦ because as far as I know you cant just peek into the source of c++ compiled into .dlls like you can regular c# in unity using .net Reflector.

Hey heres an I was wondering about. If we scale our model down a TON (like 3 feet long instead of 300) so that it scales fine with the stock wave settings. It seems all the foam gets unproportionally large. Any easy way to adjust or would I have to just resize the foam texture/material?

, stating the obvious, but GREAT work! Any idea on the first official release and underwater FX?