Download

Choosing VR devices for Unreal

Hi friends!, I’m trying to decide between buying Oculus or Vive.

The devices’s quality is not criteria for choosing it for me. I know both are great devices and I just want it to ArchViz works (although I found many articles considering “Vive” is better… I don’t know it).

I really think about the workflow with unreal.
My works run fine in PCs and I allways create materials thinking on this platform, but I would like to know if my way to create materials is the same for VR devices.

For example: Are there any problems with normal maps? I read the normal maps doesn’t work in VR and we have to use parallax mapping.

Can I work in the same way with both devices?, What are the differences or considerations at work time?

I appreciate your opinion.
Thank you.

I am a beginner to Unreal and have been making some very simple tests for Design Visualisation, Archvis, etc using both Oculus DK2 and the Vive.
I was going to upgrade from the DK2 to the Oculus CV1 but got the vive.

I think the vive is a great choice. The roomscale / Chaperone system is so great. For doing Archviz works, i think this gives a lot more opportunities.
Oculus will apparently do “room-scale” with it’s touch controllers, but they appear to be really pushing standing / 180degree experiences.
The steamVR chaperone system is really great.

I find it much easier to address the Vive in simple blueprints too. An advanced user will be able to confirm this, but to my knowledge:
The Vive Headset is measured from its offset from the origin (centre of your play area). Very simple and predictable.
In comparison, The Oculus headset is measured 1 metre away on the X axis from the Oculus’ tracking camera.
You have to enter a height into oculus Home software to set the ‘height’ of the tracking camera from the ground.
I found it much harder to do ‘roomscale/standing’ experiences with the oculus setup.

I too went with the Vive.

Roomscale (while amazing) is not required, Im surprised by the number of voices who do not point this out when people say they do not have the space required by roomscale.

Technically, the important details (resolution/refresh) are the same between Occulus & Vive.
The tracking is superior on the Vive, this is pure opinion, but the 2 lighthouses seem to offer a far better experience.

Content creation wise, there are many details to adjust to for VR creation and those changes will be the same across almost all VR headsets (HMD’s).

Normal maps do still work in VR, however the perceived benefits are not as good as they are when displayed on a 2d screen.

Personally the largest impact on me has been the hassle of putting the headset on when I want to test small changes.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Get a Vive.

I cannot think of a single case where the rift would be a better choice.

Roomscale is killer and even touch cannot touch that…

From business perspective, Rift is a better choice - their store is not saturated (yet), so it’s easier for users to find your product. While Steam is not quite saturated with VR apps/games yet, eventually it will be the same as the rest of Steam and it will be really hard to reach new users. Curated storefront is what you really want at this point.

Of course it’s always a good idea to develop for both platforms, so that you don’t put all eggs in one basket :slight_smile:

Vive comes with touch controllers. If you want to develop for touch, you’ll need the Vive for now.

Thanks friends! it confirms to me what I think by now.

I personally like doing all my development with Rift + Touch, but Touch controllers are not yet available to most, so if you’d like to develop for motion controllers now, get a Vive, and porting over to Touch is actually pretty easy if you design things in a smart modular way, such as creating a actor for a hand, and than attaching that as a child controller like they do in the new Bow And Arrow tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcbSzvSAK-0 . If you do it like that, it’s really easy to later adjust the offsets and input between the two controllers.

Definitely go with the Vive. I tried all of the solutions (even the AR Hololens), and the Vive is the winner by a landslide.

No.

Yes.

Oculus Touch aren’t available yet, so it’s better to start with Vive. I don’t think you face any problems when adopting your project for Oculus/Touch later.