Child Blueprint's mesh set to none on project startup

Hey all,

This has been an issue for quite some time, I first noticed it back in January of this year. Here is the setup:

We have a Pawn blueprint with a mesh component. This mesh has a skeletal mesh set, and an animation blueprint set.

This blueprint now has a child blueprint constructed from it. This child inherits the mesh from its parent, including the already set skeletal mesh and animation blueprint.

While working and playing in editor, everything is fine. However, after closing the project and reopening it, the child blueprint will have its skeletal mesh and animation blueprint set to none. This happen on every startup.

I have narrowed it down to a particular case: this will only happen if the child blueprint has the SAME skeletal mesh and animation blueprint as its parent (the desired end result). If I change the child’s skeletal mesh and animation blueprint to a different file, NEITHER will be set to none when I startup the project again.

Reparenting the child does not work. If I change both the parent and child SKMs and Anim Blueprints, close, reopen, and change them back to the desired ones, this issue still occurs.

Interestingly, this parent/child setup has been working without a hitch for the past 2 months. Until today it had not been an issue. If I revert to an earlier commit using version control, the problem disappears. But as I said, I experienced this issue back in January as well.

This is what it looks like before closing the project:

And this is after reopening it:

Has anyone experienced this recently? If so, do you know of any workarounds? Any help would be appreciated.

Update: After further testing, it seems that the filename is related to the problem. If I create a duplicate child BP, and reopen the project, that BP will be fine. However, If I rename the asset to the original child’s name, the problem occurs.

Hi Toffee,

I’m having trouble reproducing this on my end. What are the names and folder locations of your parent and child BPs?

Could you migrate the Parent and Child BPs to a blank project and see if it reproduces there? If so, could you send me the blank project? You can PM me a download link on the forums.

Hi Toffee,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will follow up.