Download

Character Movement with Splines

Hi everyone!

In my project I want to spawn enemies and then have them enter the battlefield in interesting and unique ways. My thought was to use splines to get my flying units onto the field and then detach them from the spline and let the behavior tree take over movement/AI control from there. I created a vertical spline and I think I would want to use the “AttachActorToComponent” on spawn and “DetachFromComponent” once the flying unit has made it through the spline but I’m getting very confused as to where I want to put this logic. Should it go inside of the character traveling on the spline? In the spawning system? Inside the Spline itself?

I am still pretty new to UE4 so if there is a better method please feel free to suggest others as well.

Perhaps inside the character blue print. Maybe in your map you could make a giant box collision for the area you desire and once the flying actor crosses that zone you trigger your desired effect.

Maybe you could use some kind of overlap detection node fed by a reference to your giant box collision, and then feed that in your detach from actor node, and do all this inside your character or actor BP.

Inside the actor doing the sliding.

Add a spline component dynamically (or manually), ensure its location and rotation is set to absolute. Slide the actor along the spline with a timeline. Optionally, destroy the spline after. There should be no need to attach / detach anything.