Character & Camera movement and positioning

I actually have a few question I’ve been trying to figure out on my own, but simply can’t come to a solution.

The first two of which are in the title, and I’m trying to figure out how exactly would I get a character model to start in a position where I intend for it to. For example, I hit the play button to test something in the game environment, but instead of the player starting where I have the player start beacon placed, the player starts way off somewhere else that was not intended. I would say this would describe my issue with the camera placement, although, the problem I’m having is sort of complex which is why I’ve got 3 questions instead of 2.

This would be a good time to mention that I’m creating an on-rails third person game where the player is in space. The only dimensions the player has to worry about is maneuvering the character model up, down, left, and right. So how exactly would I get the camera to stay behind independently from the player, while the player moves freely within the boundaries of the viewport, and this blends into my last question.

If can figure out positioning of the camera, then I need to know this one last thing. While the camera will remain relatively static I want the players foward vector to automatically move at a persistant pace, so that in result I can create the “on-rails” aspect of the game

That being said, if anyone has any clue as to how to get these things working I would appreciate the help.