name: main >>>
com.dnatoxicgames.balloonypoprevised
<<< signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1
(SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr 00000018

backtrace:
  #00 pc 0009241e /system/lib/libdvm.so
  #01 pc 001ab16a /system/lib/libhoudini.so.4.1.0_y.45074

Anybody got an idea what’s going on?

I think it has to do with the game now being put into a folder UE4Game.

So even when you’re able to build a “For Distribution” / Shipping game it will not work from the app store or installing it locally. For now you’re stuck with a non Distribution / Shipping game

Working: (can install locally via batch / Google won’t work due to the signing)

Build configuration: Shipping

Full rebuild

Not Working: (can not install locally via batch / Google will allow upload but game will crash on start)

Build configuration: Shipping

Full rebuild

For Distribution

A full shipping for distribution build will give the error:

Failed to open descriptor file

I think wittlief was looking for output logs, and any logcat logs. Also, which devices are you seeing this with? Thanks!

wittlief :diamonds::diamonds: STAFF 2 hours ago
Hi KillerSneak,

Failed to open descriptor file is a common error caused by many things. Do you have your Google Play keystore setup?

Yes I have otherwise you can not upload to google at all. The descriptor file isn’t common imho as all other builds don’t cause this error only “Shipping / For Distribution” causes this error and to me it seems related to the UE4game folder that is now used to place everything in.

Ben Halliday :diamonds::diamonds: STAFF 33 minutes ago

Hi KillerSneak,
We will be tracking the issues you are experiencing on the post that you made:

Can't "Alpha" test from google play - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

Please refrain from posting your issue on multiple threads on AnswerHub. We will address the issue on your post. Make sure you include any logs you can, as requested by wittlief.

What kind of logs would you like to have?

The below link contains the only relevant info I could log while running the game → seeing it crash instantly

acer iconia one 7

acer z220

Samsung galaxy S5

The topic I posted above holds the logcat log as there’s not much to catch as it crashes instantly. Ill do another run on the tablet now and upload the whole thing to a file server and post the links

Log:

launched the game 2 times (and crashes) to be sure.

And a local installed version (via batch)
With
Shipping enabled / but for distribution disabled.

Works fine on the same device

Hey there,

I’m currently looking into this issue and I have an idea what might be happening.

For each of the devices listed could you say which version of Android they are running?
And just to double check; are they all crashing as indicated in the log below when being run from the store based install?

Hi Bobvodka,

I’m not at home right now. But all devices crash with a build from the Play Store (Shipping / For Distribution)

Installing the game locally works fine on at least the:
acer iconia one 7 and acer z220 as these are owned by myself and I use them to test the games myself.

Once I get home Ill run both devices again and post the logs for both devices (should be around 22:00 GMT+1 , my time) based on a App store release and a local release.

As for the logs: Both from a run on my Tablet (Acer iconia one 7)

App Store: Shipping / For Distribution

Local: Shipping (not For Distribution)

The acer iconia one 7 (tablet) runs Android 4.4.4

The acer z220 (phone) runs Android 5.0

For the Galaxy S5 I will have to ask my “co developer” Once I get home.

Device(s) Info

Acer iconia one 7 (Tablet) runs Android 4.4.4

Acer z220 (Phone) runs Android 5.0

Game Info

Name: Balloony PoP Revised

Package Name: com.dnatoxicgames.balloonypoprevised

I have logged as much as I can for you Bobvodka, if there’s anything else you need/want please let me know

#Logs Local Shipping Logs - Screenshot 1 (Working build)

Engine Build Log:

Phone Local Install Log:

Phone Local Run Game Log:

Tablet Local Install Log:

Tablet Local Run Game Log:

#Logs Local Google - Screenshot 2 (Crash build)

Engine Build Log:

Phone Local Install Log:

Phone Local Run Game Log:

Tablet Local Install Log:

Tablet Local Run Game Log:

#Logs Google Play Store - Screenshot 2 (Crash build)

Phone Google Play Store Install Log:

Phone Google Play Store Run Game Log:

Tablet Google Play Store Install Log:

Tablet Google Play Store Run Game Log:

Not an answer:

I couldn’t post this as comment as It would be to long and I had to break it all up. Hope you understand as It’s much easier to read/follow this way

Any news on this with the new logs provided below?

So with 4.8.2 things change, I can’t test further until later today but:

launching the game from the engine to my Tablet fails to start the game on my tablet and it crashes.

Package Android All: install via batch also fails.

Both in development mode, where with 4.8,1 i could atleast install via batch or launch to the device to make it work.

Full crash / reports will follow (hopefully) later today.

Sorry, for some reason I didn’t get an email saying there was a reply in the topic so hadn’t checked; I’m looking over the most recent information now.

Just to rule something out sooner rather than later; you have correctly configured the application for Google Play access, yes? (Enabled, all relevant keys added.)

I’m only asking because from the working log there is a line which says it isn’t configured.
I’m going over the code now to see if it not being configured could be the reason for the crash, we shouldn’t be crashing in that situation anyway so that’s on us.

Also, and this tripped me up during testing, assuming you have some OBB data, has that file been successfully upload to the Google Play store AND downloaded with the app?
There is a known problem with uploading which means you need to upload the APK twice before you get an option to add an OBB, and I’ve also had it fail to associate an OBB with an APK thus failing to download (although this shouldn’t crash but I’d like to rule it out as a problem all the same).

Hi Bobvodka,

you have correctly configured the application for Google Play access, yes? (Enabled, all relevant keys added.)

Yes I have

I’m only asking because from the working log there is a line which says it isn’t configured.

It generates that line because I have not released the Google Play Services publicly yet. This is needed for Alpha testing and allows me to give Alpha and Beta stage testers the chance to test the achievements / play services before actually releasing it.

Also, and this tripped me up during testing, assuming you have some OBB data, has that file been successfully upload to the Google Play store AND downloaded with the app?

Yes I’m at APK version 5 and know the first APK doesn’t allow a OBB to be attached.

com.dnatoxicgames.balloonypoprevised

Version code 5

Version Name

Size
39,18 MB

Expansion file (obb)
main.5.com.dnatoxicgames.balloonypoprevised.obb (18,3 MB)

Yesterday I re-installed UE4 (4.8.2) so now I have a clean system with only 4.8.2 installed.

So with 4.8.2 things change, I can’t test further until later today but:

launching the game from the engine to my Tablet fails to start the game on my tablet and it crashes.

Package Android All: install via batch also fails.

Both in development mode, where with 4.8.1 I could at least install via batch or launch to the device to make it work.

Full crash / reports will follow (hopefully) later today.

• OBB file downloading has always worked for me even without the new manifest tags added

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epicgames.BaloonyPoP

That’s an old version based on 4.2 or 4.4 of the engine. The game I’m working on now is a rebuild/revised version that version also uses an APK and OBB file. That’s why I don’t get it why newer builds (once the engine started automating the manifest.xml / signing options / after 4…6 builds I believe) are not working anymore.

OK, I’ve had a look over the crashing logs and the main thing to jump out at me is that 'can not find ’ stuff in the logs which is related to Google play etc. so it would seem that it can’t find a bunch of classes which seems to be causing it to die.

Looking over your build log and comparing it to one from a test project I just made two things jump out at me;

• My SDK tools are slightly newer (22.3.0 vs 24.0.2 & 19.0.1 vs 19.1.0), but I doubt that is a huge problem
  • We have different output when building the jar files.

Firstly my log has notes about entry points which are being kept which yours lacks; these are the same entry points your crash log complains are missing.

Next, and related, is a difference in post-obfuscation kept classes with yours showing 1302 and mine showing 1938 - a reasonably large differences.

So, I suspect the problem is that a bunch of classes are being stripped from the Jar file which is going to cause your problem.

I suggest taking a look at the proguard-project.txt files related to the project and the engine to see if they march.

Your project’s should be in \Build\Android
The engine one can be found in UE4\Engine\Build\Android\Java

These files should probably match, or at least the project one should have the same subset of entries as the Engine one does.

If they do match then could you post a link to one of them here so that I can compare them to the reference copy I have.

Hi and thanks for responding.

Ill look at the proguard-project.txt files once I get home later today.

Like I said above, yesterday the 4.8.2 update failed so I was forced to re-install the UE4 engine so I’m running a clean system/UE4 engine now with only 4.8.2 installed. So checking the files shouldn’t be to hard.’

Question(s)

My SDK tools are slightly newer
(22.3.0 vs. 24.0.2 & 19.0.1 vs 19.1.0),
but I doubt that is a huge problem -
We have different output when building
the jar files.

How to obtain newer versions? As I’m running what UE4 is shipped/released with?

Next, and related, is a difference in
post-obfuscation kept classes with
yours showing 1302 and mine showing
1938 - a reasonably large differences.

What does this mean “Post-obfuscation kept classes”?

Once I get home, Ill upload the proguard-project.txt to my server and try to update the SDK Tools? (UE4 comes with 2.08r I believe?)

I updated using the SDK Manager; I can’t recall if it was from the NVPACK shipped version or one downloaded directly from Google - its likely this is a minor difference and not worth worrying about however.

As part of the shipping process Proguard is run over the Jar files used to make the app; this both obfuscates and strips unreferenced classes from the Jar file - the ‘kept classes’ are the ones it didn’t strip out of the Jar file (and thus the final apk) during the process. Yours seems to strip around 600 more than me but has roughly the same starting count indicating that more are being removed which would be consistent with the crash log output and an out of date Proguard Project file.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ill get back to you as soon as possible. Should be around 22:00 GMT+1 that I can get back behind the PC.

Ill keep you updated and informed on the “proguard-project.txt” files and updating the SDK (just so we are both on the same level and using the same tools/sdk versions)

proguard-project.txt
Both files are identical

Local project

Engine → \Epic Games\4.8\Engine\Build\Android\Java

So there’s no error in there.

I’m now updating the SDK to see if it will launch on the Tablet after the SDK is updated