Download

Cannot compile new C++ project - SharedPCH.Engine.ShadowErrors.h.txt.tmp error

Hi all,

Desperately trying to get started in the field of Game Development, but I’ve fallen at the first hurdle!

Have UE 4.26 installed and working, and Visual Studio 2019. When I try to start a C++ project I get this error:

Running C:/Program Files/UE_4.26/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe
Development Win64 -Project=“C:/Users/Chris/Documents/Unreal Projects/Fight/Fight.uproject” -TargetType=Editor -Progress -NoEngineChanges -NoHotReloadFromIDE
Creating makefile for FightEditor (no existing makefile) @progress push 5% Parsing headers for FightEditor Running UnrealHeaderTool “C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Unreal Projects\Fight\Fight.uproject” “C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Unreal Projects\Fight\Intermediate\Build\Win64\FightEditor\Development\FightEditor.uhtmanifest” -LogCmds=“loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error” -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -abslog=“C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log_UHT.txt” -installed Reflection code generated for FightEditor in 4.4050129 seconds @progress pop Building FightEditor… Using Visual Studio 2019 14.28.29336 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29333) and Windows 10.0.18362.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10). Building 11 actions with 12 processes… @progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 0% @progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 9% [1/11] Default.rc2 @progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 18% [2/11] SharedPCH.Engine.ShadowErrors.cpp ERROR: Unable to rename C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Unreal Projects\Fight\Intermediate\Build\Win64\FightEditor\Development\Engine\SharedPCH.Engine.ShadowErrors.h.txt.tmp to C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Unreal Projects\Fight\Intermediate\Build\Win64\FightEditor\Development\Engine\SharedPCH.Engine.ShadowErrors.h.txt

So it seems to be a problem with renaming SharedPCH.Engine.ShadowErrors.h.txt.tmp to SharedPCH.Engine.ShadowErrors.h.txt… I’ve checked and I can do this manually.

From other users, similar errors happen when the filepath has non-standard characters in it, but mine appears fine.

Have fully re-installed Visual Studio and ensured that all the relevant modules I need are installed.

Please help!

• Chris

Hi! This looks similar to this post: C++ error: The project could not be compiled. Would you like to open it in Visual Studio? - Unreal Engine Forums
TLDR: Try disabling your antivirus while building the project.
Hope this helps, cheers! :slight_smile: