Can you make money without adding any game products

Can you make any money without adding a game product to buy? And how much do you make without any game products if you were to make money without any game products?

Hey @OmKhalasi, what do you mean by game products?
Like, a game itself, or in-app purchases, or just anything to do with games? There’s definitely money to be made, but generally, when you’re in game development I would say that you’re delivering some sort of product. Whether it be tools, a plugin, game assets, games themselves, or additional game content, I’d probably consider all of these game products. I’m not sure of a way to make money from games without making games yet, maybe some clarification would help?
Hope this can help!
-Zen

1 Like

You can make money by just selling the game for a price in a store, yes.

You can make a hundred million dollars doing this, if the game is good enough. (Typically, it’ll cost dozens of millions to make at that point.)

However, the more you invest in making the game, the more you want to know that you can make your money back, and thus the more likely you will be to put in in-game transactions.

And the way the market works, you’re generally better off making the game free to start (because people prefer to try a free game, to paying for an un-tried game,) and then make money by up-selling inside the game.

So, can I go from London to Paris by walking and swimming? Yes. But I’d rather ride the chunnel train.

1 Like

@OmKhalasi
Well if you look at it a certain way, battle passes are a way that certain game systems still receive revenue many years after the game has been released - typically part of battle pass funding goes to creating the newest and latest seasons of the game. On the other hand, unless you’re planning on your game taking upwards of 5 years post-release to continue work to make a battle pass worth it to your players, a normal release and price should be sufficient. Fortnight makes around 5 billion annually, and until the iOS ban, was making a billion alone on the mobile side.
Depends on your own mentality for these kinds of things, really. All I can point to is both the revenue and community backlash that occurs.
Hope this can help,
Zen

1 Like

Yeah i was doing that, i was just saying that so that someone doesn’t include how much you make with gamepasses. Also I was thinking that gamepasses will unlock: 2x xp, 2x coins and unlock all character’s outfits. It will also give you levels and coins when you buy it.

The ways i’m making money in my game is only:
Buy levels or coins
buy battle pass
Sell data

However, I can tell you that ICOholder is a website that provides information on various cryptocurrency projects and ICOs. While it’s possible to make money without adding any game products, investing in cryptocurrency can be risky and requires thorough research. ICOholder provides useful insights and data that can assist investors in making informed decisions. It’s important to remember that any investment carries risks, and it’s always wise to consult with a financial advisor before making any significant investment.

What are your sources for this information? I am researching the market myself. If you a re using steam you can just try a game for free and easily refund if it you don’t like it. The only purpose for demos there seems to be the smaller download size. Of what I’ve read on Reddit, most sales ( / money) goes to the popular titles such as Call Of Duty, Elder Scrolls etc. leaving very little budget for other games in potential customers. That could support what you are saying, that free games with in-game purchases might make more in the end?

What are your sources for this information?

I’ve previously been in companies that sell mobile and web games, and I’ve talked to game developers at industry events.
All numbers from where they have been available, say that the most profitable games are:

1. free to play
  2. in-game up-sells
  3. putting significant money into marketing
  4. supported by a market development team larger than the developer team
1 Like

Thank you!!