Can you lock FPS?

I was wondering, since I’m currently getting 120 FPS lol!

Now, this is a good thing, but can that hurt computer in anyway? Making it work harder than it should be? Is there a way to lock it?

not that i know of. what i use is a program called Dxtory link text

It has an option in it that you can limit framerate works on most any program though that only works for you. :-p but some sort of option to limit framereates would be useful though :-).

type in console t.maxfps 60.0 to lock to 60 fps. To open console, in Window menu, activate log window.

Does this persist when closing and reopening editor?

#Config/DefaultEngine.ini

There is a simple solution to this!

no need for external programs!

you can lock Editor FPS like so

[/Script/UnrealEd.EditorEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=true
MinSmoothedFrameRate=5
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

Enjoy!

PS: yes it persists forever

#Wiki page

I added wiki page for this

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums,Editor%26_Game#Commenting_Stuff_Out

Thank you . Is there any way to apply this change to engine itself rather than one project at a time?

Engine/Config/BaseEngine.ini

Should do trick.

You da best ! My PC and I thank you ;D

After updating to 4.2 this is no longer working for me. I used to do this in each update up until 4.0.2 by adding code above to BaseEngine.ini file.

I have tried using just new option in Project Settings->Engine->General Settings->Frame Rate

and

I have tried using above setting with adding above code into BaseEngine.ini file

Neither has worked.

Please advise, thank you

Any ideas? My computer sounds like Large Hadron Collider while I’m making FX at 120 FPS lol.

Anybody…?

Hi ,

No, this method does not persist after reopening editor. But you can implement 's fix in 4.2, it’s just a little bit different. That bit of code is now hard-coded in, just change values I have highlighted and it will lock in FPS.

Hope that helps, TJ

I’ve been away so I haven’t had time to try this or respond, but I wanted to thank you for taking time to answer my question sir.

What about Vsync is there a way to turn on Vsync?, that should limit FPS to sync of monitor.

Hey DCrosby,

You can force vsync on by running from a shortcut or commandline with -vsync.

You’re very welcome. Have a good day. :slight_smile:

TJ

Finally got around to trying this, it didn’t do anything for me. I changed values in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.2\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini

Also, is it just me or does frame rate setting in Project Settings->Engine->General Settings->Frame Rate do nothing?

Hi ,

I just tested this in 4.2.1 and it works. I changed BaseEngine.ini just as it is pictured above.

Did you restart editor after you saved ini file?

Yeah I did, here’s line in my file.