Can you buy UE4

So I have read the end user licence agreement but I don’t quite get it . It says that they grant you only licence not sell you the UE4 . Ok that’s fine we need to pay them 5% of our profit , but can you somehow make new agreement with them so they sell you UE4 (for certain amount of money of course) and give you full rights to it (like modifying it and not having to pay them anything after you buy it) ?

I dont know if it’s possible but you could ask the licensing team -> https://www.unrealengine/custom-licensing
licensing@epicgames

like modifying it
First of all you are allowed or better say encouraged to modify ue4 to your needs. Thats why it’s source is available to it’s users.
So there is no problem in selling a game with a modified version of ue4 as long as you state thats its using a modified version of ue4 and dont tell other people thats its a custom engine.

not having to pay them anything after you buy it

I am not 100% sure but I think there is an enterprise version of ue4 which you can buy to get rid of the 5% and also get 24/7 live support from epic staff. At least thats what most engines offer. But thats more an option for AAA with huge budgets. I assume we are talking about 100 of 1000s of $ here.

:

Exactly the link I was looking for. I knew I saw something like this before. Just couldn’t find it anymore.

Kuhmaus – UE4 is not Open Source … it is FREE … there is a huge difference. The software is still restricted by an EULA and is NOT Open Source. Please make sure you understand the difference.

Well you are right if you take the definition of the term open source nowadays. But the source is open. Everyone can access it (as far as he got an epic account, which is free to create). That is why I consider it as open source.
Its the same with free vs free to play. Both similair but completely different if you take a closer look.

No … you are completely incorrect … you cannot compare the two … they mean completely different things. I don’t want to derail this thread but it is important that you understand that the source code is FREE to access but is not OPEN Source. There is a huge difference.

Please don’t refer to it as open source in the forums because a lot of users will get confused and could end up in legal difficulties later on. I merely pointing this out so that otehrs don;t make the mistake you have.

Thanks. 8-}

tnx all
btw I do intend to buy (if the price is right of course ) it because I plan to make a game studio , hey maybe we do become AAA some day

Well so everything with a restrictive license on it isnt considered open source? I don’t really get it.

Okay so if ue is considered as free. What is the name for free games then? I mean free games not free to play. Since free games are free and dont provide access to their source in most cases. Whereas ue4 is also free but does provide source access. What is the term for ue4 then? I can see a difference but I cant see different names.

Well, if all of you think its such a problem how you call it then I will edit my post. Hope it’s okay now

You can talk to Epic licensing and set up new licensing terms for your project, what that would involve is that you would pay them a cost upfront and then you could reduce or eliminate the royalty. That’s how they used to license the engine, most AAA probably license it that way since 5% of millions of dollars is going to end up being more than what they’d pay for it upfront.