Download

Can meshes that are attached via sockets have morph targets?

I’m working on character customisation on a 2.5D game (and it’s still on a conceptualising stage at the moment) and I would like some input on whether this is possible before I start fully fleshing out this idea.

Info/explanation: I’m using the Creature plugin for character animations and loving it so far. But when I export to FBX into Blender to start working on morph targets, the skeleton collapses, it doesn’t read the weight painting and animations, and exporting an FBX from blender is an even bigger pain because the program sometimes crashes on me too, and it only does that when I export with the binary option.

So in a spark of potential brilliance I thought maybe I could create the morphing in Blender as a separate file (for eg: arm muscle definition) and then attach it via the sockets with the Creature FBX. That way I don’t end up ****ing the file over during Blender’s import/export process at all, and just leave the sockets to do its magic.

So the thing is, I don’t know if the static mesh’s morph target data can carry over into the socket, and whether or not the blueprint widget can actually call this piece of morph target info when designing the character creator. If you guys know for sure that morph targets are still preserved even when it’s in a socket then I’m good to go.

Otherwise I have a plan B - create multiple avatars and the player chooses the one that represents them best for the game :confused:

A socket is one endpoint of a two-way communication link between two programs running on the network. A socket is bound to a port number so that the TCP layer can identify the application that data is destined to be sent to