Can Line trace hit a particle?

the particles (custom mesh, ring shaped and scaling up over time) are emitted by the player’s pawn (spawn attached), and I need to determine if one of those particles is present at a specific point.
I have tried line trace by channel and by object with all the combination of settings I could, but they seem to not be able to detect a hit against a particle.
It works detecting a hit against a static mesh component, but it doesnt seem to be able to spot particles.
trace.jpg

I also tried to change the particles material to opaque (they are supposed to be additive)
and I tried to add a collision to the particle mesh, and made sure particles collisions are active

can anyone think at a solution?

alternatively: could a blueprint sample the color value of a texture at a specific UV coord?

thanks!

On the particle emitter, you might have to have some invisible collision models spawn with the particles. So long as they were CPU particles, I’m pretty sure that you could get a hit result off of them then. I don’t know the exact details of your system, but if I were you, I would only spawn the collision models on a fraction of the particles; in order to keep things from getting out of hand. I will try rigging up a test for it and let you know if I can get it to work.

Unless the spawning time is random you should be able to do the math between when the particle system was started and the frequency of the particle spawn as well as the speed that they move outward

number of particles should not be a big deal, I never have more than 3 or 4 on the screen.

I couldn’t get the particles to be detected (tried all combination of collision parameters I could find), so I’ve worked around it spawning an actual static mesh instead of particles, with its animation (scale up according to a curve and blend opacity for soft dissolve) done using a timeline and blueprint transofrmations. Also using complex collisions as simple so that it considers the “hole” in the ring.

Particles would have been more flexible for the future though, so if there’s a way I’m still interested :slight_smile:

thanks a lot!

I suspect that the issue might be connected to the channels.
I’m not entirely sure how they work… how can I know in what channel my newly spawned particle system is?

It doesn’t seem to be showing up in the “visibility channel”, or else the line trace should hit it.

I also tried trace by object, addding all types of objects, and still no luck hitting those particles

Hello @Fr3akxxx! Did you manage to solve this problem? I need to get a collision with Beam Data.

Correct me here cause i’m not sure i’m correct on this. I’m still learning, but isn’t the purpose of particles to be less expensive and less a hit on performance? I believe they are designed without the ability to be collided with using channels. particles can be seen, but are essentially invisible to the engine. Like invisible pieces of confetti. That’s how i’ve always wrapped my head around them. There is def some settings in the emitter setup that are simulating/faking bouncing behavior, but that is not true collision as far as i know.