Can I sufficiently create a block-based grid crafting system with blueprints?

Anyone know if UE4’s Blueprint System could handle a block-based crafting grid system?

See the screenshot for a better understanding of what I am trying to figure out how to create.

Someone I know on FB said I’d be better off going outside of the UE4 scripting system and using c++ because of the algorithm needed to run it and recognize the craftable shapes.

Any idea or advice about this?

http://imgur.com/4Dl206P
(i tried to attach image but wont work for some reason so here’s a link instead above)

And if that’s the case then does anyone know where I can find an affordable c++ programmer that won’t rip me off for something like this?

Yes it can, and quite efficiently as well. You will be able to learn about bounds of meshes and offsets and lots of interesting mechanics to boot!

Here’s one example: Unreal Engine 4 - Building System [ Tutorial / HD ] - YouTube

Thank you kindly for the information and the video.

Seems, that if modular building can be done I could potentially create something similar then but make it moreover for what I am trying to do somehow.

Just looking at that video makes me think it can be done without a doubt and I’ll just have to try harder to learn and understand this stuff better to figure it out.

My current thoughts are that maybe I could make the blocks I am using modular based on that building tutorial and then assign it to be limited within the bounds of the platform or wherever else I want to allow it then just a matter of figuring out how to get it to recognize a shape that’s suited within it such as an L that matches to spawn the item in it’s place.

Anyways Thanks again, I’ll start looking into this stuff more then. I really appreciate the help and advice! Cheers! :slight_smile: