Building a Landscape Material With Performance in Mind

Up to this point, I have tried everything in my knowledge to create a landscape material and I’ve successfully failed at getting what I’d like. I’m looking for a way to create a landscape material with approx. 12 layers and have some of my textures fade out of detail so to speak to help optimize some things. Am I wasting my time trying this? Or is it a good idea to have a simpler texture for far distances?

In example, if I look at my feet and see detailed grass, but in the distance I see a lower resolution texture of the same thing… Is that going to help me in performance? I’m looking at creating a level that’s 100% landscape. 8161 X 8161. So I’d like to try everything I can to help keep things running smoothly.

I’m not great with materials yet so it’s also been a challenge. However, this would be a great tutorial to watch because I’m sure I’m not the only one whose curious about it.

Anyways, I’m looking for a little help on setting up my landscape so that after “X” amount of distance away from player, the texture switches into a lower resolution or detail to help save on performance. (if, of course, it will actually save on performance.)