Bridge materials don't look good (Displacements to be more specific)

Hi. I was working with some Bridge materials and I was facing some problems that I wanted to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong or I’m not missing something in here. Displacements don’t look good to me. They don’t have enough realism and the extruded parts look jaggy and unpleasant. I have tried this with a high-poly plane and I’ve also tested it on a plane with around 1 million triangles but they still don’t look extruded/realistic enough and I of course don’t want to go higher than 64 subdivisions on my planes because I’m using them in a game…

This is an image of my plane on two of Bridge’s default displacement materials: Two default bridge materials - Album on Imgur

This is also my plane: https://support.quixel.se/attachments/token/5WyPzMol75E67Zf2yXe6UD5wy/?name=highpolyplane.FBX

If there’s anything I’m missing, please tell me. My game objects don’t look good and if I want to make them more realistic, I can use Blender’s displace modifier but in that case, things will somehow look the same until I subdivide the mesh again and will also make the object less versatile to scaling. Thank you in advance.

I don’t really know the answer to this, but I do know that Quixel stuff looks weird when you get it in the engine.

I had problems with normals looking weird. They won’t rotate with the mesh, for some reason.

A quick google shows a number of others with the same problem

https://help.quixel.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360015462057-UE4-Megascan-high-poly-mesh-texture-looking-strange

I don’t use bridge and make my own materials, but something’s still not right…

1 Like

Hi and thanks for the link. Well, seems like it’s a bit unfortunate to see that Quixel isn’t providing us with those really well made custom materials which seems different from the actual purpose of Quixel Bridge. I as a programmer, can’t do so well at creating those super good looking materials or art in general; which seems like I should spend more time on from now instead of expecting Bridge to do all the magic. But still, I was expecting slightly better displacements from Bridge’s master materials but still, I know the path from now on.

Thanks for the time!

Frankly, I’ve never been impressed by displacement. I think I’m the only one on that particular bus, but it always looks unnatural to me. You can’t beat a good normal map.

And I have noticed many times that Quixel stuff looks weird for some reason, when you get it in the engine. I think it’s great that it’s a free resource, don’t get me wrong, but something’s a bit squiffy there…

Quite often actually, I find generated materials are better, because you’re not just waiting until you can get the perfect photo, it’s made from scratch with a specific purpose in mind.

In that vein, the stuff from Game Textures is very good. Not free, but very good… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too started as a programmer but am using quixel mixer, my game environment are not that ultra realistic so a decent look like a cotton base texture 2D with it normal map work perfectly for me. Just a little tweak with Krita and playing around with the roughness/specular.
Without these free filtered resources, it would take me god time to generate these or take realistic photos, i mean back then with ue3, i had to google textures with weird resolution and watermark.

For quixel bridge am guessing it will require a lot more tweak for it to look realistic, if you look for these free model from epic, that paragon female char, just her hair workflow materials seem lot of work.

1 Like

But still, with the normal map you’re making a very faint illusion but with displacement you’re actually extruding the object. I also checked GameTextures and tested their textures out. They honestly seem a bit better than Bridge’s. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Exactly. Downloading these and tweaking them around takes a lot of time. But the fact is that I don’t exactly know what tweaks should be made and I also decided to download some other textures from some other websites that seemed better than Bridge’s, specially the displacement part. I also think that Quixel Mixer is a great tool to use as well but again takes a lot of time to get one texture ready…
Anyway, I think all of the possible sources should be searched for finding the best fitting textures…

1 Like