Download

Blueprint child objects keep unparenting when play is pressed

Hi guys.

I have a bit of an issue that I have not seen before.

This is a Blueprint issue not a C++ issue but I have to give some info regarding C++ just so that you know what is going on.

I am creating classes with both static and skeletal meshes in them in C++. I am then extending the class through blueprint in the editor and then adding child classes to the skeletal and static meshes. And that goes through with no problem. The issue is that as soon as I press play the child objects are immediately unparenting themselves. I do not have any code or blueprint scripting making the child objects do this, they are just doing it.

Now, I solved the issue by just removing the extended blueprint from the level, then deleting the extended blueprint then creating it again and adding it back to my level again and the issue is solved. However, this leads me to believe that there is a problem with the way my level is reading and working with other objects in the level. The level is on the big side, I am deep in to it and there are still a lot of issues for me to work out with it. It would be VERY time consuming for me to remove and recreate all my blueprints and then put them back in the level.

So I know that this is kind of a weird question, but is there any kind of utility, maybe something I am not aware of that can check my level some how to make sure it is working with my extended blueprints the way that it is supposed to? Maybe a 3rd party add on?

Or has anyone else dealt with an issue like this and have some insight? Thank you in advance.

Oh yes, my unreal version is 4.14.3, compiled from source. And I have not made any modifications to the engine. No 3rd party add ons or anything like that.

Windows 10 64 bit.
Blueprint compile shows no errors.

If you need more info, let me know and I will get it. Thanks again.

Is the parent of the child a blueprint also? Blueprint children of blueprint parents are buggy - they’ll work for some time and then surprise you by e.g. getting their values reset to default.

The parent is created in C++. The child is created and attached in the extended blueprint in the editor.

Edit:

I misunderstood what you asked. Just to clarify, this is all in the same extended blueprint. Not multiple.